New Lucey owner

Hello All. I have a new Lucey which is still sitting in the boxes waiting on my hubbie to assemble. Of course, he went to AZ on the day she arrived...LOL. Not sure if that was planned??? Lucey will be up and functioning by the end of the week and I can't wait. I have been reading the forums, watching YouTube videos, and doodling for practice. I have been looking at the metro thread. Does anyone recommend this thread or had any problems with it? 

I look forward to being a part of this family. If you have any suggestions of where to start, I welcome them. My class is not till June 6th. Happy quilting everyone.  :wub: 

Grunzie

a.k.a. Tammy G.

May I be the first to welcome you, Tammy!!  You will fall in love with Lucey! While waiting for your class just go ahead and start practicing. Then when you get to the class you will be comfortable at the handles and ready to soak it all in.  Load some cheap fabric or muslin and just start moving around.  I have never used Metro but there are those here who do.  I truly like Glide and so does my Mabel.  She uses other threads with adjustments and sews with them nicely as well.  Hopefully someone who uses Metro will chime in for you.  Again, welcome to the APQS family and have fun!!

Hi,

I got a Lucey last year...I love her even though I haven't done as many quilts as I was hoping I would have done by now...If you got your machine from APQS there is probably some sample threads in one of the boxes....what I remember is that I had some so fine, some bottom line, a cone of aurfil and some OMNI....all of which were nice except I did have some problems with the auril breaking....probably my error  LOL....but what I ended up deciding to do is to use OMNI for now while I get used to moving and doing the stitching....after I am more comfortable, I plan on using others...so my advice is to go a bit slow with the thread purchasing until you get a chance to try several kinds and then start your color collecting.....I think I have 12 or so cones of OMNI now but picked the "dusty" colors as I figure they will blend in with more stuff except my sister insisted that I get one cone of bright green...cuz she liked the color... Oh...and I did try glide which was wonderful as far as the stitching went but is more slippery and a bit harder to do the starts and stops with.....I may get some more of that in the future...I have not tried metro...Lin.

Thank you all for your information. I can't wait to get started. I like the idea of buying some cheap muslin to practice with, thanks Marci. Lin, I appreciate the information on the thread. The company did send me a packet with superior thread samples. I look forward to playing with them. Most of the reviews I saw about the metro thread were positive, so I think I will try some of that. If it doesn't work out for me, my sister does art quilts and would love to take over the thread that does not work with the Lucey!!!

Welcome to the APQS family!  I know lots of people who love metro, but then again, I know a lot of people who have pitched cones of it because it has breakage problems or even knots tied in it.  My very favorite thread is Glide by Fil-Tec.  It's a bit more expensive than metro, but a good deal less expensive than lots of threads.  Probably the most-used color I have is Khaki - it seems to go with everything.

Thanks Linda. I have a cone of Glide thread and a jar of bobbins. I am looking forward to seeing if I like the Glide as well. The cost of the Glide is not an issue and I have local access to the thread. Tis going to be an exciting ride!!! Thanks again for your assistance. 

Archived