Am I crazy?

I know that there have been many posts like this but... I am looking into getting a long arm machine. I have done lots of research and really like the millenium. I've never owned a LA and have only tested out the Handi-quilter so I have no real practical experience. Am I crazy to be thinking of buying this for my hobby (okay more like addiction). My kids are finally getting big enough for me to enjoy piecing again. In the past I have taken all my tops to whoever I could find to finish them, but that has been pretty hit and miss. Is it worth owning a LA for a hobby? I think I could one day do this for a living, but I don't want to buy with the intention of making money. There is a show happening by me in April that I plan on going to to test out more machines. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's okay to spend a bunch of money on something just for me. (Aren't women nuts? We always need validation.)

Thanks in advance for you help,

Kim

Hi Kim,

LOL Cathey's right IT OKAY :P:P , now is the time to go for it. If you want to take a little road trip down to my studio and play on my Millie for awhile to give it try, ask your questions what ever you want ot do give me a call. We do have a great special this month

Myrna

Well, if you're crazy, so am I. I bought an HQ-16 last summer and then took a job that swallowed up all my quilting time so am just now learning how to use my machine. I'd love some ideas for where to go for inspiration - books, websites, wherever. I know that right now I'm lost but am determined to learn to use a LA with as much degree of comfort as I've always brought to handwork.

Kim,

You are NOT CRAZY! I bought my Liberty last October and its just for me!! I have no intentions of going into business. I made over 17 quilts last year and paid to have half of them done. I decided it was time for me to do them myself. So you go for it. You deserve it!!! I bought my LA after trying a competitor and a Handiquilter and then a Millie. I love the APQS machines and the support is awesome, as are the people on this site.

GET THAT LONGARM!!!!:P

If you're crazy, you have lots of company! I bought a used Millie from APQS last fall and had only put together two quilt tops.

I agree with Sandra. If you were a guy and went out and bought a new motorcycle or seadoo, no one would blink twice.

Go for it and ignore those who would discourage you.

Gail

Hi Kim, I retired 10 months ago and treated myself to a Millennium. I bought it because I really wanted it and did not plan on a business. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. There is so much to learn and great people out there. Funny thing, now that people are seeing my work they are asking if I will do it for them. Home based business......it's a possibility. I have looked into some things but am moving slowing. I had never tried the Millennium, had only used the HQ-16. There is no comparison and I love my machine. Technical support is great and there were no problems setting the machine up. If it's for you, make the decision and don't look back. Good luck.

Pat

No you are not crazy....we have a rule in our house. You get something expensive or big then I get something. Gene gets a welder, I got a ceramic kiln.....Gene got several scuba tanks...I got a pottery wheel..... see the pattern. I only think its fair for you to get a toy for just you. Go get 'em.

Think of a friend being in your situation. Would you encourage her? Yes!

Be your own friend girl! At least this toy does make some return as you won't have to pay others for quilting.

Antique cars, fast boats, snowmobiles etc. don't bring a return but they are bought just because. So buy it because you dream it and then do NOT feel guilty because it does bring some financial return to your family.

bought mine for me and later when I needed a different job it became my business. Not saying you should go into business but it is a nice safety net.

No, I don't think it is crazy either!

But I do have to ask...... you said you have sent all your tops out for someone else to quilt. Do you even enjoy the quilting part or do you just enjoy "piecing"?

For me, I never sent out a top and got hooked on the "quilting" part of it, so that is why I bought my millenium. I just decided to quilt for others to "pay" for the machine. I would much rather be quilting than piecing!!

Patty

Hey Kim, all money aside, all toys aside, the best benefit from getting your own longarm machine is the creativity possibilities. That's why I bought a Millennium, that and my mother pushing me. For so many years in business I performed the things I needed to do, that were expected. To have the time and resources to pursue what my soul wants to is just fabulous. It's very fulfilling.

There is the intimidation factor in looking at Myrna's Millennium. It's one honking machine, 14' long, and has all the bells and whistles. If you were taking a tour of some famous place, then this stop to her studio will be exciting and fun. Wait till you see her supplies and drawers and drawers of thread. The best thing is that she is a warm and high energy individual who wants you to be successful. I drove all the way from Phoenix area to take three days of classes with her and had a great time.

My machine is only 10' long, only can do up to 103" wide, queen size quilts, but I find that I'm doing smaller things with it. I even quilted a tote bag on it for Mom. Then stitched my stack and whack which I pieced in 2003 and had waiting at a longarm woman's house for four months. Now I'm finishing a raw edge applique wall hanging that I'm putting into our local show and put lots of couched metallic threads on it. Looks very Razzle Dazzle (that's a thread, but also a great Ricky Tims expression). I'm saving all my cut metallic threads ends to do an art project on the Millennium like Noriko Endo (check her out on the APQS site under artists - uses tulle over tiny cut pieces of cloth and stitches it all together on the Millie). Next I'm doing Mom's bed quilt, a beautiful log cabin. Then another tote for our quilting group to give away at the spring meeting. Myrna stitches fabric with silk fibers that look like angel hair and makes garments.

Having a great machine like the Millennium will allow you so much creativity. If you ever loved art classes as a child, you'll have a lot of fun. Come over to our side Kim. ;)

Vicki

I had no trouble at all spending the money for a Millennium. I did not buy mine because I thought I would be able to make a lot of money, I bought it because I knew I would have a lot of fun. So far as I know you only get to go through once. If you don't do the things you enjoy now you may never get the chance again. My husband told me when I went to the show and bought mine to go ahead and get all the bells and whistles. I bought the Millennium and am happy I did. Spend the money, get all the goodies and never look back. Only look at the good times ahead. Jessie, (having a ball in Suffolk, Va.)

Kim,

This past December I purchased a Longarm machine and I didn't even know how to do piecing much less quilting.

I've always loved quilts and so I decided I wanted to learn how. Since I have a King size bed, I wanted something that would be big enough to handle the material.

I haven't made my first quilt yet. I'm still learning the basics of piecing and I'm practicing a lot on the longarm.

If I was you and the money wasn't a problem, I'd go for it. I hope this helped answer your question. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Donna Gale Hays

Fisherville, KY

Kim, I wish I would have done this 10 years ago, I would probably be retired and quilting up a storm. You only go thru life once - only once - so if you can manage it financially, go for it. If you find it isn't your cup of tea, you can always sell it. Life is way too short to regret not getting it later.

Go for it girl!!!

Sharon.

Hi Kim, I had only quilted ONE quilt on my domestic machine before I bought my Millenium...since i am not a distributor i can tell you i think they are the best. i have been in business for 5 years and there are probably 10 longarmers in my area (population 50,000 in and around my town) and they are all as busy as they want to be...there are several people i know here who have a long arm and only do their own...and friends...it is ok...its more than ok....and it helps to have a supportive spouse...ha, ha...kiss em if you got em...best wishes...stephanie...ps...my problem is turning everything i love into work...and i am slowly getting over that!

Hey Kim,

Just this past weekend I bought the "Art of McTavishing"book. I was reading the forward, and was reminded of it when I read your post. She talked about how her mother was buying this huge machine, that she didn't know how to run it, or even piece quilts, but she packed up her life and daughter, and moved to another area to be a quilter. The rest is history. I say go for it, and don't look back. You'll only have regrets if you don't.

Beth

Hi Kim.

Just had to add my two cents.

You asked the Question, AM I CRAZY ? You bet I am!!!!!!!!!

Crazy that I didn't get my long arm 15 yrs ago.

I just receive my long arm last August. I have a whole closet full of tops that I have made and were crying, quilt me, Quilt me, Quilt me.

I am a Mother, Grandmother, Great grandmother, and yes a Great Great Grandmother. Every time the kids look at one of the tops and say, Oh boy would I love this one. I feel so great knowing that I will be able now, to get it quilted and give it to them. Knowing that my love will always be with them.

I have number 10 almost ready to come off of the frame and I just love it and am looking forward to the next one to go on my Genie.

So by all means Kim, as so many has already said if you can afford it and want it go crazy, fall in love like the rest of us and hopefully you will stay that way for a very long time.

One Crazy Grandmother.:D

I purchased my Liberty this past December. It is for me and only me!!;) I do not plan on starting a business using my long arm, it is solely for my hobby!! After quilting on my domestic machine for several years and sending out many quilts I decided I wanted this machine way before I retire. If you can afford it and have the space - I say GO FOR IT. I love to piece and LOVE to quilt using my Lil 'Liberty. My father once said to me "If you don't treat yourself nice, no one else will" He was so right!!!

Buy it and don't look back!!!

Archived