I am making a bag that called for fusible foam batting, but couldn't find it. Now I am trying to quilt the fabric to non-fusible foam batting

instead.  It actually worked pretty well, but I got variable size stitches and many were tiny while using my stitch regulator. What changes could I have made to prevent this? Is this a time to raise the hopping foot? It didn't seem to be dragging. I sewed more slowly.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Nancy

I wonder about it being called fusible foam.  Foam would melt if one tried to fuse it with an iron or press I would think?  Could it have meant fusible fleece?  Regardless, it isn't necessary to use fusible if you stitch your fleece or batting in place.  As for your stitches being really small,  if it was just two layers of fabric and your batting layer you shouldn't have an issue unless your batting layer was very thick and the foot couldn't move along freely or the foot is not one card's height.  Normally the foot height is one business card thickness high and you can raise it a bit if you have really thick batting.  Could there have been anything catching on a cord or the frame that was preventing the machine from moving smoothly?   Hope you've figured it out, and that your bag came out ok in the end!

I just found some fusible foam by Bosal.  I've never heard of it but it's got a foam laminated to a brushed tricot side.  It's called 'In-R-Foam' and it is fusible.  It looks pretty thin so it shouldn't be an issue keeping your foot from moving freely, but you can raise the foot next time and see if that helps!

• 1 month later...

Marci, I just tried using the In-R-foam on Millie.  Tested it and had one thread break.  The first pass down the quilt went well, just did a loose ribbon type design (don't remember names).  But, on the second pass the thread started breaking, and kept on breaking.  I have only had my Millie since December and have only used So Fine thread.  But, for this project (duffle bag) I forgot to check my thread and didn't have a light gray thread.  So, I used Aurifil thread, 50 weight that I use and love for piecing.

I talked with a friend who has a Gammill and she said she always has problems with Aurifil on the Gammill.  I would like to do a couple more of these duffle bags and would prefer to use my long arm instead of my domestic machine (cannot free motion on it - last time I did was so frustrated that I got my Millie). 

So, I would love to know if anyone else has tried this foam and any hints to make it work better.  I want to layer a small sample, use So Fine thread and see what happens.  It didn't fuse well for me, maybe my iron wasn't hot enough.  So, should I fuse or not?

I appreciate any ideas.  Thanks,  Jan

The Aurifil 50 wt thread that I have tried in my George would always break because as Jim said, it isn't very strong for quilting and the speed the machine pulls it at.  There is a 40 wt. (green spool) Aurifil, but I haven't tried it much since I don't usually need white thread on the quilts.

I wonder if the fusible foams need more moisture to help them fuse so you don't need to kill them with weight to get it to work?  I hope you find the answer.

Archived