Opinion: HeatPress Batting Tape

I thought it worked well the only time I have used it so far - while the quilt was loaded on my machine!  (Can't remember now it I loaded the batting the wrong way, or just didn't have as much as I thought. :unsure: )

The folks at my LQS said it worked great, which is why I bought it in the first place.  I was certainly glad I had it when I needed it!

I've used it quite a bit for charity quilts.  I've got all those leftover bits of batting that are too big to throw away, and too small to keep.  Although it says it isn't recommended for poly batt, I've used it with that as well.  Much faster than trying to stitch it together with a zig zag stitch on your DSM.

It is a God send.  I was given a roll as a Christmas gift and I had to use it on the longarm when my batting ran short while I had a quilt on it.  I slid a pressing board along the belly bar, steam pressed a new strip of batting into place and then continued on.  There is not stiffness.  I couldn't tell where the new strip had been attached. I highly recommend it.  It's, also, great for piecing a bunch of smaller pieces for charity quilts. Quicker and easier than having to stitch it together.   

I've used it, but if your quilting is going to be fairly dense, you don't really need it.  Generally, when I need to piece something together it's because I came up short at the end of a quilt.  I simply lay another piece of batting on top of the existing piece, cut a curvy line through the middle of the over-lap, and pull out the extra bits.  As long as you feed it into the quilt sandwich gently and don't pull on it, it will stay right where you wanted it.  Quilt over it, and you'll never know the difference, even when you wash it.  Now, if the quilting is very loose and far between, you might want to use that tape to hold it firmly together.  It will, however, slightly affect the feel of that part of the quilt.

I have used this quite successfully, especially on cotton poly or all cotton batting. I do as Heidi does, buying lightweight fusible interfacing by the yard and cutting it into 2 1/2 strips. I have not noticed any change in the "hand' of the quilt. I have used it when I come up short on batting and use the belly bar as the base to iron on.

Yes Vicki..I believe your iron was too hot.  Remember the tape is a synthetic fabric and set your iron temp accordingly.  I have used it to fuse both sides of the joint so that the batting is easier to handle.  No bulk or stiffness, even with two layers. I buy the rolls for convenience since I don't use tons of it.  Works great.

Archived