Invisible thread keeps breaking with IQ

IQ'd

I have started a quilt with invisible thread on the top and regular thread on the bottom. I have slowed down the stitching and threaded the top just going through the eyelets without wrapping them and only going through one eyelet. The top tension still seems to be too tight and there is no tension on the tension unit. I have a Millie and the quilt isn't too tight. The batting is wool, an the fabric is pretty loosely woven. This is going to be a heavily quilted quilt and will use both regular thread and invisible thread. I hate the fact of having to start the quilting over and over, It doesn't look very professional. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.  :(  :(  :(

I have Quilt Path and love it. Sorry for your issues with the thread. Might be a burr in the needle or your needle plate. Check that too. I think changing to a bigger (4.5 MR) has helped me. But even my best thread shreds after hitting lots of seams.

You might try using some Sewers Aid on it, several lines around the cone.. just a few around a small spool.

Also you could try dipping the cone in mineral oil.  I love the way the thread handles after that, and both Himself and I seem to remember me using the invisible after dipped, and had no problem.

The top thread needs to have less tension on it.. amost sloppy Loppy.  I'd try a scrap piece of practice fabric beside the quilt top.. see what happens with loose tension, Sewers Aid, etc.

With invisible thread, the top thread needs to be loose--where when you pull it through the needle and release, there is no "curl" in it. The tension discs put almost no drag on the thread. Your bobbin thread should be loosened as well--I use about 17 (or 170) on the Towa gauge for regular thin thread, and 15 (150) for invisible.  Unlike Rita's advice, I don't use Sewer's Aid on invisible thread. Just never thought of it or seem to need it. Good luck! 

Linda's suggestion to double check your bobbin tension is a good one. Set your bobbin tension low. I don't know what age your Millie is or which size bobbin you have. If you have an M bobbin machine, load your bobbin half way to reduce the weight of the bobbin. You can also unplug your IQ thread break detector from the back of the dock and remove the thread from the thread break detectors (both IQ and APQS). That will mean your machine won't stop on a top thread break or an empty bobbin but it will reduce the stress you are asking the top thread to take. 

What brand of invisible thread are you using. Some are better and others... pull it between your hands and see if it is super fragile. I use nylon monofilament for show quilts but for regular/utility quilts I use MonoPoly and it works quite well.

HTH!

I use Superior's monopoly regularly with my IQ and Quilt Path.  I don't seem to have any trouble if I slow down and reduce tensions...since I switched to the big spools.  When I was using the small spools I thought I had to mount the spool on the top of the machine as it was not cross wound but when I ordered the big spool I just simply put it on the back of the machine as if it was a normal spool of thread.  When I had the small spools on the top of the machine I would have issues with the thread jumping out of the groove in the thread break sensor and winding itself on the metal post behind the wheel which would make the tension way too tight.  I do have a nylon (pantyhose) stocking piece on the large spool to keep the thread feeding off nicely. 

Thanks all for your advice. Even tho I have no tension on the thread with the tension disks I still seem to have tension on the top thread for some reason. The invisible I am using is Monolon..I have the thread wrapped around the sensor once to try to reduce drag on the invisible thread. Unfortunately I don't own a Towa gauge, but I will loosen the tension on the L bobbin. The thread I am using on the bobbin is the embroidery thread I got from Myrna. For sone reason I like to quilt later in the day so I will update this after I try a few things! Thanks again........

Okay, I have completed a part of the quilt with the monolon and ended up taking the off net I had on the cone, changing the needle and loosening the bottom tension. I will need to freehand with it too so I hope I can accomplish that. Again thanks for all the responses!

Archived