Is it me or my backing

JDroz

Got my new George in May, did my practice pieces with the poly thread that came with the machine. All was well. Proceeded to my first quilt, using my beloved aurifil thread. Could not get more than 6 inches with out the thread breaking and lots of loopies on the back to boot. Came to the forum and read up, loosened the bobbin tension, practiced on scrap samples until it looked good. Back to th quilt, 6 inches and breaking thread. My backing is another beloved, a batik. Could the batik be causing thread breaking, will all batiks do this? I use alot of batik for tops and backing. What is the best thread that would have comparable look to my fav cotton thread. I know this is alot of questions but I was so looking forward to quilting on George and am somewhat disappointed. My next 2 tops are batik with batik backings.

I don't know if it is the batik or if it is the weight of the Aurifil that is being used.  I tried some Aurifil on my George and had a bunch of breakage too.  Are you using the regular sewing 50 wt. or the slightly heavier 40 wt.  The 50 is on the orange spools and the 40 is on green spools. 

I hope others come through for you with more batik responses and even thread advise.

it could be a combination of issues.... the batik backing is a tighter weave and might cause issues, the thread may not be manufactured for high speed quilting..thus the breaking, and some machines just do not play well with various threads.  You might try putting some sewers aid or mineral oil on your thread to help keep it from breaking.  Perhaps call APQS they can over other suggestions to try

Lots of loopies on the back would usually be from top thread being too loose.  Start with a looser bobbin tension so the cotton top thread is not struggling to pull it through the sandwich.

Cotton thread can be finicky.  don't  weave through the thread guide before tension disc.  Go down up down.  Pull thread through the needle, does it kink?  back off tension.  Test stitch run off to the side of actual Quilt...  Loopies of top thread on back tighten the top thread... by quarter turn  try again.

Oh, sorry to hear about your issues with George.  Please try not to get discouraged…it is not unusual for there to be a learning curve when switching from a DSM to an 'industrial' style machine like George.  I completely get your disappointment.  I struggled a lot early on (that was 7 years ago) especially with thread breakage/tension issues  but persevered and I love this machine so much that I now rep it for APQS.

To address your specific issues:  The polyester thread IS more forgiving than cotton threads.  That may be one reason your sample sandwiches were easier than your current quilt w/Aurifil cotton. You may want to continue using poly thread until you & the machine really get in a groove.  Personally, I prefer the look of cotton thread for most of my quilting so I began with So Fine…a polyester thread from Superior which has a matte finish so it looks like cotton thread (in 50, 40 and 30 weights) but runs great on George even for beginners.  I always give a cone to my customers…it's the best thread for the learning curve.  

Compared to a domestic machine, there is a lot of fiddling with tensions when you use George but you WILL be able to sew with almost every thread once you get the hang of it.  Needle size is important as is the exact position of the needle (another difference from the DSM with a flat-sided needle).  Try a larger needle and/or try adjusting the needle position a tiny increment left or right.

Batik fabrics are more tightly woven but George can handle it just fine.  If yours is particularly stiff, you could try pre-washing it but that is likely not the issue.  What batting are you using?

Most importantly, don't get discouraged.  You have to give yourself a little time for experimenting and fine tuning, OK?  We are all here to support you!  Nancy in Tucson

I hope that you'll keep us posted on getting everything to work for you.  

I want to thank everyone who writes in to this forum and shares their expertise.  I, too, am on the big learning curve with George and I have turned to the forum many times.  It is great to feel supported and to see the many words of encouragement.

Brenda

• 1 month later...

Took me weeks to get back on forum, thank you all for your suggestions. I was using aurifil 50 weight and will try the heavier weight. For that paricular quilt I was doing alot of fmq to outline motifs and did not want the heavier or shiney thread. My practice sandwiches were different fabric but the same batting and I didn't have the breakage issues with the 50 wt. Aurifil. I will try the matte poly thread suggestion for my next quilt.

Did a carpenter star out of Batiks, had more problems with that than anything else.  Had to go up to a larger needle and used the glide polyester on it.  Used matching color thread and you could not even see the quilting on it.  Hang in there, keep fiddling with tension.  Also used a lot of needles before I went up to the larger size.  Holes closed up when I wash it and looked ok.

Archived