Looking at an 2005 KenQuilt Princess with I/S stitch regulator, I have no idea how much is too much to pay.  Would this be a good beginner machine for me to start on, I don't have a ton of money, no more than few grand. Since the company is out of business, no support either.  My husband is very handy however.  Can any of you experts help me out here and give me guidance please!!!  10 eet rails, 22 inch throat, one owner.

I really don't know much about kenquilt....but I think I would try and get a used one that there is still support for.....occasionally older APQS machines are posted here that might not be too much more than your budget......another thought would be to try and find a rental machine that you could try and see if you really would like to do it.....I used one at the local quilt shop for a bit...I did have to take a lesson before they would let me rent it....I also had one of those smaller nine inch machines on a frame for a while.....and while I don't regret buying it,  I quickly found out its' limitations like not having very much space to quilt in as the quilt rolls up under the neck and it had a sagging frame too.....but I did find out I really like doing quilting and last year purchased one of the used APQS machines with a 26 inch neck and a much firmer frame......Lin

I think I would avoid that machine, especially with the company no longer in business.

We only recommend the AOQS machines because of the great technology and most of all, the terrific support we get, even on older machines.

I believe there is a machine for sale on this site, for $3,000.00.  Check on that one, and also check the machines on APQS main site and see what they have.

I think very few on here own a KenQuilt Princess, so not a whole lot of support for that particular machine.

Good luck in your search,

Rita

Wannabequilter61,

You might want to google Kenquilt and see if there is any information out there for repairs if it breaks down.  Longarms are all different so it might be hard to find help if something did happen.  That would be my main concern.  Can you find the information you need to repair it?   This is a big deal, even though I work on APQS machines, I don't touch other brands of longarms, because the are all so different.   

Wannabe:  I have a friend that has a KenQuilt Princess.  It's a very good machine.  I personally would not be afraid to buy one.  The electronics are still supported by Kasa Engineering because it has the I/S Turbo stitch regulator. Not much else goes wrong on these machines, and most of the parts used can be sourced in the sewing machine parts market.  The table is fine as far as I'm concerned.  The 22" throat is more than adequate.  She paid $6200 for a couple of years ago.  She has had no issues with it.  The only problems have been as a result of her inexperience with it.  I'm not sure what year her's is.  Maybe 2008, maybe a bit older, I don't know.  The woman she bought it from replaced it with a Gammill. and was sorry she did so.  If you can buy it for $6000 or less, I think it would be a bargain.  Jim

By the way. this would not have to be a beginner machine.  I don't think it lacks anything necessary for it to be "a keeper for life"  It's I/S stitch regulators is one of the best on the market.  Modifications could be made to the table, channel locks could be fabricated if you're handy, and the Intelliquilt computer added if you wanted to automate.  All in all, a good "platform" to build on.  Jim

Archived