Picking up My KenQuilt Princess/Oregon to Bay Area California

First of all there is a question in this post.  I bought the 2005 KenQuilt Princess for $4000.  Have decided to go up and get her because I don't trust shipping and movers.  I know how they throw things around.  My DH only wants to only remove the head off the rails and put the frame in the back of the van.  I'm telling him the frame needs to be broken down the whole way.  So can I get clarity here from those who know, PLEASE!!!!!  

Thank you, 

Angelia

Only thing I know is that my sister-in-law moved her floor loom in a trailer across country assembled but folded up....the move loosened the screws holding everything together and several had actually wiggled there way out of the frame and  where found on the floor....thankfully nothing really bad happened though it did take a bit to located all the screws and where they went....also...I wouldn't expect it to arrive squared up and what is he planning on moving it in?  How long is the frame and how wide set up?   oh, and my table part on the frame is set laid in so it would maybe bounce out.....I dunno know...seems like if it fully set up, there would be more of chance of something getting twisted or bent out shape expecially if any quick starts, stops, or plain old steep hills are encountered.... Just my thoughts......bring soft things for packing and tape would probably be a good idea too....Lin

This reminds me of the drive from NC to north of Chicago to get my Millie. I have such respect for truck drivers now. I recommend that you get a thick piece of foam rubber for the sewing head to sit on so you are not stressing out over every bump in the road.

Carol

I'm not sure what type of frame the Princess is on but whatever it is, it's critical that you ensure the top which has the rails attached does not get twisted or moved in any way that may cause a kink or any sort of bend in the rails. When we picked up my KenQuilt 633 on a 12 ft table, we removed the legs and roller bar assemblies from the top, then strapped the top itself down to a base of 2x6's which hubby had made for supporting it, and strapped that all down in the bed of our pickup. The head was wrapped in a blanket and rode in the cab. The rollers were strapped down on top of the top, in the back of the truck, as were the legs and roller assemblies. We forgot to take pictures of what it all looked like before it was disassembled, so put the roller assemblies on backwards first. Be aware the top probably doesn't break down into smaller units so if it's on a 12' table, you need to be able to transport a 12' top with it being very well supported.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new toy. You got a smoking hot deal on that machine and though KenQuilt is no longer in business to offer support, these machines are very easy to learn to operate and maintain yourself. I hope to upgrade to a Lucey or Lenni someday but for now, my 633 will suffice.

Jeannie

Since it sounds like you'll be breaking down the machine yourself, take photos of the process so you'll have an easier time with re-assembly. Especially if you decide to take the frame apart. I can't advise the better way of transport, but breaking the frame down will cause less anxiety on the road, wondering if everything is secure and not being tweaked out of shape by the twists and turns of the road.

Let us know how it goes and congrats on your new purchase!

Archived