Maintenance on Ultimate I -- help!~

loraquilts

Hello,

I'm very excited because I'm seriously thinking about getting the Intelliquilter for my Ultimate I.  I was thinking about getting a new Millie and the IQ, but the cost was a little beyond my reach (okay, I'd have to sell a kidney, lol). 

Anyway, when I was talking to the IQ sales person in California (Ron Paul) he recommended that I get all the spare parts I would need for him to service the machine.  ????? Like what???  He said, just call APQS and they can tell you what you need.  I'll be honest, I'm at a complete loss.  So far all I've got on my list are motor brushes and I'm not even sure what those are.  Can anyone help me figure out what normal wear parts I might need to order to give my Ult I a nice "like new" tune up? 

I'm also thinking about putting a laser light on the front of the machine.  I see that the one that mounts in the back of the machine has a place where it plugs in to the machine (I'm assuming for power).  Does anyone know how I would go about putting one on the front of the machine?  Do I need to purchase a separate power adapter or is there a place on the front (maybe on the inside) of the machine where the laser light would plug in? 

Thanks soooooo much for anyone to takes the time to respond to this posting.  I truly need and apprciate any and all help and suggestions. 

Lora.

Lora

If you add the IQ you will probably never use the laser light.  You should be able to get an extension cord for your laser light maybe from Radio Shack and then you would need to figure out how to mount the light up front.  If your machine has the Intellistitch regulator then APQS does not have the brushes because the motor is different.  Brushes for the Groschopp motor are available from Ray at https://quilttech.com/.  Common wear items pigtail thread guides and for a machine as old as yours you may need needlebar, hopping foot and rocker arm bushings if they have never been changed.  To check these items grab the needlebar and see  if it has any play side to side and front to rear should be none.  Same for hopping foot.  Also check for up and down play on hopping foot should be almost none if there is that is probably rocker bushing play.  How are the grips on your handles?

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Nigel

Tension assembly, bobbin case assembly, thread path pig tails,... are all maintenance things that you should have on hand. I agree with Nigel about the front laser light.  I am assuming that you have a laser light for the back of the machine?  Although having an IQ system you probably won't be using that much either.

Lora:  I think your plan to "computerize" a Ult 1 is a great idea.  I don't know whether the Intelliquilt upgrade includes a new motor or not.  You'll have to ask Ron Paul about that.  I agree with both Nigel and Laura about the laser light.  When I upgraded my Ult2 with Intellistitch, I added a laser light.  That was more than 3 years ago.  I haven't ever used it.  Good luck.  Jim  BTW, I've heard lots of good things about Ron Paul.  He has real reputation among Gammill owners.

Archived