Chewed up pre-wounds

Kueser

Is it me or has anyone else experience this? My Millie loves to eat the cardboard on my pre-wounds. Sometimes the cardboard gets stuck in her teeth (the bobbin case tension) and sometimes she spits it out right in the middle of a stitch. I've resorted to re-winding my pre-wounds onto metal bobbins which kind of defeats the purpose of buying pre-wounds :( 

Cee K, I've heard that some quilters peel one side of the cardboard off, but I've never had a problem with them.  You might want to double-check that the backlash spring in your bobbin case is properly seated: it might be pushing the bobbin into the path of the needle.

Just wondering if you are using the cardboard sided pre-wounds from a good company.    A friend bought some on Ebay one time..........CHEAP.........he claimed they were L size, but I had to take the cardboard sides off for them to even work in my DSM...........they were horrible.  I never tried them in my longarm.     I mostly use the Magna Glides, but do use Superior Super Bobs too.  

I have had great success with my prewounds on my Millie but I use the plastic sided bobbins. I use the card board sided prewounds on my Brother Dream Weaver 6200, my Brother pc-8500 and my Brother Laura Ashley nx2000 and I don't have any problems. But my Millie didn't like the cardboard sided prewounds. I bet if I removed the card board they would work better. I might try that. I just bought a new box of 144 prewounds with the card board sides. I think I still have a few prewounds on the plastic bobbins for Millie I might have to order another box of them pretty soon. I am a big fan of prewound bobbins.

Hi Cee,

If the check spring fingers are too far out, or if they have a rough spot on them, that can chew up the bobbin. In addition, the cardboard can swell in the summer from humidity--and that makes them bind up in the bobbin case. If you have a different case, give it a try. If not, you can order a spare backlash spring (or even another case if you want.) In the meantime, it won't hurt to remove the cardboard from the side that rubs against the backlash spring (unless the spring is "sprung")! :)

My bobbins were getting chewed up also, but I think I had them turning the wrong direction. I thought they were supposed to turn counterclockwise, but then started using Magna Glides and they only work one way, which in clockwise. Started using the cardboard bobbins clockwise also, and haven't had any problems with shredding since. This way, they turn in the same direction as the backlash spring is pointing. If going counterclockwise, the cardboard will rub back against the sharp edges of the spring.

There are probably differences in manufacturing tolerances to bobbin cases.  If you have another, try it.  I have found that even the great manufactured Singer Featherweight had bobbin cases that were slightly different in depth.  With all the companies making L or M bobbin cases, I'm sure there is some variation to the actual depth of the cases.  A different bobbin case will probably solve your problem.  Jim 

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should bring this up. I have been using Super Bobs since day one and never had a problem. The last group of bobbins I got I noticed that the cardboard seemed different, and sure enough, they are shredding in the bobbin case. Maybe I will shoot a message off to Superior Threads to inquire about this. I have never had this happen before and now it happens very frequently and has been problematic.

Peggy

My Millie is new 7/9/2014. I bought an extra bobbin case and both are chewing up my Super Bobs. I ordered Super Bobs because I had read so many good comments on them. Now my husband has asked me to try Magna Glide because they do not use cardboard. I guess I will see when they come if they do better. Pre-wounds are too expensive for me to buy and then have to manipulate them (remove cardboard side). I hope Superior Threads gives you some good information.

Archived