Digitizing software for LA quilters?

loraquilts

Just ordered my IQ and it's due to be installed in about a month.  Yeeeee!!!! I'm very excited about it.  But I've been looking online and lots of places sell already digitized designs and I know I can trace my designs on the IQ, but I'm just wondering about some of the software available to create my own digitized designs.  Does anyone have a favorite?  I've seen youtube video and other posts for Art & Stitch, Pro-Q, and another one that I forgot to write down.  Anything special you think I should know or consider?  Is it worth the expense?

Also, I've seen a couple of systems for sale as either used or 'came with my LA, but never used'.  I also recall reading somewhere that if you purchase used software (even if it was never opened and installed), it won't work right because it cannot be registered to a new computer.  Is that true? 

Any info/ advice/ opinions etc., would be tremendously helpful and much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Lora.

I personally think Art and Stitch is the best digitizing software for quilters (and embroiderers) on the market. Floriani is another very good product - started out as an embroidery software and now they have a quilting module. Pro-Q is good but I like Art and Stitch better. I find AnS much easier to learn and use. There is also a Quilt Cad program by the Grace Company. I don't really know anything about it.

Now, I'll tell you this … I have spent lots of $$ on software for digitizing my own designs and at this point I very seldom use any of it. When I started using a computer to do long arm quilting (back in the dark ages of 2005!!!) there were only a few sites available. Now there are lots of good designers and digitizing sites available and I find it much more advantageous to find a design that is already digitized. To get a good design to work properly and look nice takes time - something most of use have precious little of these days!

My suggestion is to look at all the products available (some have trial software you can download) and then decide if you really want to make another large investment and commit the time to learning the software. Most of the software is pretty powerful and can do lots more than what I use. Learn how to use your IQ, purchase some designs that are available, and then make a decision. Don't jump right in - learn one thing at a time. It is much easier that way. Ask me how I know!

Sue,

Great advice!  Thank you.   I just get so excited when I get something new that I go all in.  You're absolutely right though.  I need to learn my IQ and decide what I want to do with it before I start thinking about getting deeper invested in software etc.  Great example -  I already have embroidery digitizing software - bought the top of the line software and have had it for a couple years -- only used it a once or twice so far.  I find it much easier to buy designs than digitize them myself.  I have noticed a lot of site out there with a LA digitized club of the month, so for what I would spend on digitizing software, I could belong to a club for a couple years and be adding to my library without having to spend tons of time learning software. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom with me.  I really appreciate it! 

Lora. 

Very good advice Sue. But if you DO decide to venture into digitizing your own designs, you absolutely can't go wrong with Art and Stitch. The training and support are second to none! Check out the training videos on the website. That will give you a glimpse into what the software can do. There is also a very comprehensive manual which takes you step by step through all the functions, and as other quilters discover new ways to use the software, addendums are added to the manual. Also, webinars which you can attend online.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into the Art and Stitch program as well as the Husqvarna Viking 5D Quilt Design Creator.  (Can you guess what kind of embroidery machine I have?)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a pro/con list on either program.  The 5D software is about half the price of AnS, but is it comperable from a functional standpoint. 

Last question.... will either of these programs convert a redwork embroidery design into a digitized quilting pattern?....easily without having to redraw the whole pattern? 

Archived