railroad tracking

Hi, I am a new longarmer and have been having tension issues, but have figured out that a part needs replacing and just waiting for it to show up.

I have a quilt on my machine at the moment which has some railroad tracks in a few spots.  Is this acceptable or will it need to be ripped out.  What would happen when a customer washes a quilt with this issue.

Zakk

Zakk,

If the rail road tracks are so loose that you feel you could snip the thread at one end of the section, and then at the other, and simply yank the bobbin thread right out, it could come loose with washing. Sometimes the quilt and batting will shrink enough to pull the thread tighter, but the visual sign of the railroad tracks won't really go away. Of course, it depends on the quilt's intended use and the customer's expectations as well. Even though it may be unsightly (and would receive constructive criticism from a quilt judge) if the quilt is a wall hanging or is more for display, it won't affect the stability of the quilt.

Use your best judgment as to whether YOU would be satisfied with the quilt in its current state.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived