Manual vs. Stitch Regulated - When one is better?

I just got my Millie five months ago and am just beginning to stitch some things in the manual mode.  I feel much safer in stitch regulated for most of what I do, but I hear other very experienced quilters say that one is better than the other for them in certain situations.  Is there a set of rules or guidelines for when manual stitch mode is better than stitch regulated mode and vice versa?

Sorry you haven't had any replies. :)

I'll just say that (as my friend Linda Steller always says) I spent good money for that stitch regulator and I'm gonna use it!    I love that line!

Before Quilt Glide became available, most used their non-regulated mode for micro-stitching. And some longarmers originally learned without a stitch regulator and feel it gave them a better start.

Myself, my SR is always on, always used, and makes me relatively carefree.

Guidelines---schmidelines! We don't need no stinkin' guidelines! B) 

Do what feels right, looks good, and works for you. Turn off the SR if you want to challenge yourself.

I was thinking exactly like Linda and I didn't say anything.  I'm sorry.  I thought a bunch of other people would jump in.  I use my stitch regulator all the time.  Why?  Because I have it and I like it.  I did part of a quilt one time with it off, but it's been so long ago that I can't remember why.  I may have been micro-stitching.  Lord knows I decided I didn't like doing that.  Micro-stitching is fine on something small, but I looked at my big old quilt and said "Crap!  What was I thinking?"  I took off the micro handles and put them away and I haven't taken them out since.  I'm sure I will use them again some day maybe.  I may have been doing something freehand and felt I had more control...I don't know.

My suggestion is as Linda says...do what feels right, looks good, and works for you.   

I use mine all the time. The only time I turn it off is when I did heirloom feathers, a class from Karen

McTavish, it will work when you get the hang of it and Linda R is so right, if you want to challenge yourself and that is good because it will add to your repertoire.

As my friend Linda Rech always says, "Guidelines---schmidelines! We don't need no stinkin' guidelines!"   :lol:  :P  :D 

There are no Quilt Police!  And, if there really are some, they are not allowed in my studio.  Do what makes you happy.  That SR does add a good deal to the price of any machine.  Use it to your heart's content!

I agree. I got SR on my machine so that I could learn to quilt without the added stress of worrying about my stitch length. I got Quilt Glide to smooth out stitch regulation for micro work. I got micro handles to provide better control in smaller spaces. It's a waste of time to feel guilty about using these options. Marilyn Badger said these things were designed to make our lives easier, so why not use them. I think we can all agree Marilyn is a "real" quilter. If it's fine for her, it's fine for me.

Archived