Not a quilting question but a prayer request

Just a quick update on Bill - He had his 1st radiation treatment this morning and they will start the chemo tomorrow after his radiation treatment. the chemo will be pumped into him 24/7 through a little pump he will wear. Please pray that he will tolorate these drugs. And that the Lord will win this battle. thanks again to those of you still praying for him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pat,

Just to let you know, you and Bill are on my mind and in my prayers every day. I know what a difficult time this is, I think most families are touched with cancer and some point in their lives. Sometimes people can tolerate the chemo, there are just so many different kinds now. Still praying that Bill will tolerate the drugs and stay strong. Praying for you, that God will give you strength to help Bill fight this battle, and that He will comfort you when you need it most. And praying the God will use this whole situation to touch the lives around you. You will be surprised, even people you don't know can be touched by something like this.

Just know we are all with you.

Mary Beth

I thought that I would just let you know that one week has now gone by with 6 radiation treatments and 7 full days of Chemo. So far Bill has done quite well. He gets a little queezy at times but has a cup of Ginger Tea and that seems to calm his stomach. We are STILL looking for a house. The lady that bought ours has graciously extented our time here but we know that one of these days we have to move. Almost all our stuff is now in boxes in the garage and the spare bedroom. Millie has not been used for about a month as we were to have moved by now. We still haven't dismantled her, but the manuel on how to put her together is there so I think if we work backwards we should be able to figure it out. We are sure learning a lot during this journey. And a lot of important things to us 3 weeks ago, really don't mean a hill of beans to us any longer. The main think that we have learned is that we are not in control but we serve a Big God who is in control of everything. Thank you all for your thoughts & prayers.

Thank you Mary Beth - You sound like a lady who has been through this before. I went through it with my Mom but for some reason, never expected to go through it with my Bill too. I don't know how anyone can go through something like this without the Lord walking through it with them. I know that sounds preachy, but it is where I'm at for now. The Lord is my rock and my source. Without Him, I wouldn't be able to do all that needs to be done with a clear head. (At least I think it's clear!). May the Lord pour out HIS Blessings on you.

Thank you Donna & Beth. Yes we can most assuradly feel all the prayers for us. Yesterday, we had another appointment to go out with our realitor and Bill just wasn't up to it so I asked some very good friends of ours to go with me. Well, we FOUND A HOUSE. I took lots of pictures with my digital camera, came home and showed them to him on the TV, and we called the realitor back and made an offer. Bill has yet to walk through the house!. But he said that he trusted my judgement. Boy, we are sure walking a strange path as we have never bought a house this way before. Now, we need to sell Bill's business. Several has indicated an interest, but no one hast stepped up to the plate with any concrete offers as yet so please add that to the prayer request for us. Thank you all so very much.

Pat, may Today bring you much hope, and joy in the sureness of Jesus at your side. I am not so far away, it appears, so maybe somehow we folks in Portland can be of some support to you two. Please let us know. We'll be meeting the 29th, and you're so welcome to come and be with us. (If I missed that this link has already been made by Beth I'm sorry. I've been pre-occupied with an infamous donation quilt).

It sounds like you and Bill have a very solid companionship, which will give you both strenth as well. May you only be drawn closer to each other through this journey.

And may you have a very blessed Easter Day today.

Patty,

When you are moving, I would be more than happy to give up a saturday or sunday and drive down to help you move and I am sure that there are others who would be willing to do the same....Maybe a mini road trip! Please let us know if you would like for us to do that.

Pat,

My mom was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer 28 years ago. The doctor only knew of one person in our area that had that type of cancer, and that lady did not survive it. However, my mom is a fighter and she is still going strong. The doctor told her she is text book. That was a very difficult time because I was pregnant with my second child and worried that my mom would not be around to advise me when I needed help learning to be a mom.

A few years ago my only sister was diagnosed with colon cancer that had spread to her lungs. She was in the 4th stage by the time she went to the doctor, even though she had been having trouble for years but not telling anyone. My sis was extremely obese and thought the doctors and nurses would make fun of her. How crazy does that sound? During that time I learned to lean on the Lord for everything. I agree with you, I don't know how people get through something like that without Him. I kept a prayer journal during that time and ended up with several books. Still can't read them, but it helped me a lot to write.

I know when my sister told me that she had cancer, I held it together on the phone, but as soon as I hung up, I dropped to the floor and prayed and cried. I can tell you, I felt a peace come over me like nothing I had ever felt in my life. I know that is the "peace that passes understanding".

I have been praying for you and Bill, that God will give you that peace that passes understanding and that you will feel yourselves wraped in His love. And just know there is healing.

Hang in there. Stay positive, that is 90% ya know. And keep trusting. You have lots of prayer coming your way. Sounds to me like there are a lot of people out here praying for you guys.

Mary Beth

Yes, there a lot of people praying for us and we are very humbled and grateful for them. We too have a peace, sometimes it is stronger than others and I think that is when someone is praying specifically for peace. Buying this house is taking a HUGE leap of faith for us. But we feel it is His leading for us. We've asked Him to close the door if this is not of Him so we wait, knowing that He has us in the palms of His hands. Thank you all for your encouragement and offers of help. Our church has stepped up to help us move. The will have 4 teams. 1 to clean & get new home ready, 2 to pack our things from here into a truck, 3 to clean this house and 4 to unload and put away our things at the new house. I think there has been so many people who have offered help that this is the only way everyone who wanted to help could be affective and not have so many people that you couldn't move. We are truly blessed. We will be moving about the same time that Bill's Chemo & radiation will be completed, so if he is very tired, we are going to take him to a friends home and just let him rest while the moving takes place and then bring him home and let him just sit and enjoy his new home.

Dear Pat and Bill,

Having just walked a path in which our family received a true miracle and knowing that everything that transpired was by God's design, please know that my prayers for you daily are claiming the promise of Joshua. This Easter day as we celebrate the risen Christ, let us too celebrate the new life that is surely flowing into Bill. To let you know, our precious Keith who was dead, is alive with NO memory loss or physical impairment just like the Lord promised that nightmare night in the emergency room. I know our Redeemer lives and I know He gives us promises that are to be prayed and claimed in His name.

How like Him to have His church take care of two of His own with the move. More confirmation I believe that this is His gift to the two of you. Rest in His peace and love and know that we are all here for both of you. and congratulations on your new home.

Let Miguel and I know if we can do anything for you.

Bekah

Pat,

What a great church family you have. You all are so blessed to be surrounded by such caring people. That is what a church family is all about. Thank you for sharing that part of your story. It is so good to know there are still good people out there.

Mary Beth

Hello all - this past week has been a doozy - Bill started having some very bad blistering in his throat from the chemo, so they took him off the chemo pump last Monday. Today (Thursday) he is finially able to eat better and can swallow! He had lost 2 lbs in the past 3 days just from not being able to swallow. He will see his oncologist tomorrow and they will decide if they should put the pump back on him and if so, should they change the meds or just a lighter dose of the old one.

I want to thank all of you so much for just being there for a sounding board and for all the prayers. In a way, this is kind of like journaling for me, but with encouraging support along with it. I know that the chemo is very hard on him, but if they don't put it back on him, his chances for survival are less (only 12% survive this type of cancer beyond the 5 year mark ) but yet I know that we have the Master Healer who may not think what the Dr's think - I know this sounds crazy. But my heart says trust God, my mind says, trust in science, and to find that balance. I know that God can use a medication to cure him or to do a miracle to cure him. So, I guess my main thing is just learning to TRUST GOD and go with the flow.

We did find a house that my Milli will fit in very nicely. We both signed ernest money agreements and all last week, but Bill got to see it for the first time today. Pretty gutsy for him to let me buy a house!!!!! And - HE REALLY LIKES IT. So that is a very good thing. We should be moving in the 7th of May. And then the fun of trying to find a home for everything.

Thanks for letting me rattle on and for all the prayers.

Archived