Missed stitches on top , help

Hi I have a Millennium and have had problems the last couple of days with missed, loose stitches on the top. I called maintenance and checked the thread path but it has made no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions ? The tension looks even but it goes around 2" then a few loose stitches then ok for a short distance .

Thanks

Jo

Jo, the first thing you need to do is determine if this is a problem just side-to-side, just front-to-back, or all directions.  That will help narrow down which stitch encoder is having issues.

Next, you need to figure out whether you are getting "missed" stitches or "long" stitches: missed stitches are the result of the needle going down through the fabric but not making the stitch with the bobbin thread - you will see needle holes underneath the line of stitching.  Long stitches are usually a result of an encoder wheel not making proper contact with the machine wheel, so that your Millie doesn't know that you are moving it, so it doesn't even try to make that stitch.

Once you've figured out these two things, get back on here and we'll help you figure out the solution!

Hi Barb

Thanks got your reply. It's all directions. I don't have needle holes and if you ease the top thread through it forms the stitch.

So I think it's long stitches the tension is fine top and bottom then there is a few loops of loose stitches on the top.

Amy got me to look at the thread path and I've changed thread and bobbin and cleaned it all. But no change. The one bit I am not sure of is with the 3holed metal on the thread path it is threaded correctly but the last hole the thread feeds to the tension discs from the back not the front, if that makes sense.

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Jo

Jo, if you're already working with Amy on it, then you have the best service person in your corner!!  Not sure I understand what you mean by "if you ease the top thread through it forms the stitch."  What  year is your Millie?  If it's newer and has the thread break sensor, the thread path may be different than older models. 

I have had machine 2 1/2years.

It is like the tension jumps out for a couple of stitches every few inches. I was just wondering if I was missing something , as I can't get Amy until Monday and I am backed up with orders.

When the thread goes through the thread guide it is heading down but it lies at the back of the three hole guide not the front.

Thanks for ideas.

Jo

If you're getting long stitches, and both directions, it sounds like you may have an electrical problem in the stitch encoder circuit - Amy is the only one able to help with that.  It's an outside possibility that both of your little rubber encoder wheels have moved out of adjustment - check that they are snug against the machine wheels, just in case.  Otherwise, are you able to quilt in manual mode?  I know it's not the best solution, but it might get you through until Monday..... :unsure:

Jo,

Loose stitches have nothing to do with the encoders. That is still a tension problem. Let's first focus back to the thread path, especially the tension assembly and the three hole thread guide directly above it.

Make sure that the 3 hole guide is pointing to 8 o'clock if you are imagining a clock on the side of the machine. If it slips lower than that (closer to 7:00, it allows your top thread to slip into and out of the tension disks as you stitch. Next to examine the U-shaped wire-guide next to the tensioner. It's called the tension check spring. Its job is to tighten up your top thread as you stitch, similar to putting that last tug on your shoelaces after tying them. Make sure that is not rubbing on the side of the machine. Also, check where the bottom portion of the U-shaped wire is resting when thread is not going through it. It should rest at about 10 o'clock.

We might need to tighten that up a bit. Also, don't be afraid to take me a top 10 children as well. Email tighten it until you see no more loops of Threadon top. If your thread breaks, then we will need to back it up slightly.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...