Quilting R to L

Lizbeth

Is there a rule in which way to quilt?

In doing a panto I start on the right and go to the left.

When I am at the front of the machine I start on the

left and go right.

Is it best to keep starting the same or when you get to

the end just go from left to right and right to left?

Thanks,

Lizbeth

Lizbeth,

I suspect your going to get lots of comments on this question.  From the front I start left go to right.  From the back I start right go to left.  Is this right, don't know and don't care.  LOL  Once I get going I go whatever way the quilt takes me.  If I'm working on a panto that has two rows of design I always quilt back the other direction, same with custom.  The key for me is to make sure the quilt top isn't moving and my stitches are balanced.  Since I quilt in circles a lot I figure I'm going in every direction any way so why get hung up on the "rules."  The quilt police are not allowed in my studio.  LOL  

I find my Millenium doesn't mind which way I stitch. Taking a class with a well known US quilter while at AMQF I was surprised that she works out a way v to v do all her stitching from left to right as she told us frequently her brand of machine doesn't stitch properly in one direction. Someone from that company needs to correct her problem. All of us APQS owners were aghast.

Yup...I quilt any way I want to and my Liberty just goes along with it.  I know if I use Sew Fine on the top and Super Bobs in my bobbin my tension is always perfect no matter what the type of material is.  It's such a great machine.

Archived