upper thread breaking

I am new at quilting, My upper thread breaks about every 3 to 6 inches. I have just had my machine worked on still it keeps breaking I have change the needle several times. loosened the upper tension, checked the bobbin, loosened the quilt on the frame still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions??? PLEASE HELP...:(

Is the thread a new spool? Usually when I had top thread issues (which I never do now that I have my Millennium!) the spool of thread was just "bad". Try a different thread and see if you have better luck. I am not an expert and there are others here that have far more experience but that is what I would suggest.......

It's hard to say with the info you provided. Which thread are you using top and bobbin?

Try these things:

Check your thread path. Did you just start using this thread or was it working then started breaking.

Loosen the bobbin tension.

Loosen top tension til thread stops breaking. It will probably be sloppy loose so bit by bit tighten top tension until thread looks good and still does not break.

Make sure that the rollers are not too tight. That is my favorite mistake. To me, the quilt looks sloppy when it is loose enough to quilt.

Are you stitching across the seam of a pieced backing. (ie like thread keeps breaking on a single bock in the center of the quilt.)

Also, you said that you are new to quilting...I know when I was new I was breaking thread all the time....it drove my DH so crazy he would leave the room and say that he didn't know how I could stand it!! I think as you get more accustom to your machine you will do better. Just one of those things that may take a little time.

There is more chance of thread breakage with a variegated thread. Something about different colored dye affecting the thread and one color will be more prone to breakage.

I had terrible breakage with a variegated King Tut always on one color--it was the lightest. If you can take the thread in both hands and easily break it with a tug--pass!!

I test a new thread by really pulling on it. If it breaks easily, no way will I try it. This is a good demo to show customers when they bring a thread for you to use.

BTW, I was hesitant to try Valdani on my machine because so many had shared problems with it. I had very little trouble with it and am glad. This is carried locally and I can steer customers there if they want to buy their own thread.

Good luck with the journey past this problem. The more you do, the more you learn and you will see what your baby likes and dislikes.

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

I had just such a problem this morning, using Rainbows Verigated and So fine in the bobbin, both Superior threads. Finally, after too many breakages to count, we considered just ripping out the stitches and start over with some 'cheap' thread. I changed the needle to a new Titanium one, rethreaded the pathway multiple times, checked the tension with the TOWA, added thread lubricant, turned the thread spool upside down, tried running it sideways, used a net, removed the net, prayed a lot. FINALLY, the solution was in changing the bobbin from So Fine to a Prewound of the same color, and INSTANTLY, the problem was solved. I guess from now on, I will not use a 'slippery' thread both on top and in the bobbin.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Grace

Have you tried a larger needle? I had this problem a few weeks ago with King Tut Cotton. I was using a size 18 needle. Someone here suggested I try a size 20 needle. It made all the difference in the world! Plus, I decreased the top tension even more.

The other thing I found,( I have a used Ultimate II) was some burrs on my thread guides and even down in the bobbin race. Used some emery cord on those and I rarely if ever have broken thread now unless I'm doing something wrong with my carriage movement.

Hope you solve your problem soon---I know it's frustrating.:(

If you are using cotton thread spritz it with water, stick it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a few hours. If it is polyester, use thread lubricant on it. Is there a fan blowing on it? If so, change the direction of the fan. The first thread guide should sit directly over the cone of thread.

If I've checked everything that has been mentioned thus far and my thread is still breaking then I deliberately make the tension very loose on the top and make sure that my bobbin tension is what I normally run it at (for me it is between 22 and 24 on the TOWA Gauge or drops three to four inches). Then I do a test run being sure that I do some loops . If it isn't right then I do a half turn right on my top tension and do another test run. I repeat this until the top thread starts breaking. Then I back up one or two half turns. That is usually where it is perfect.

If that doesn't work, then examine your stitching carefully. Is the thread breaking or is it skipping stitches and then breaking. That's what mine does when the timing is off. If it is skipping stitches I will have a nest or loops underneath and the thread on top will be loose.

Hope you find it soon. I know its frustrating.

Phyllis

• 2 months later...

ACK!!! I'm having major thread breakage! Yes it's varigated but I've quilted 60" incheto the quilt already! I've put in new needle, new bobbin, rethreaded, checked tensions.

Batik on top and bottom, Quilters Dream Request in the middle....

HELP it's been 3 days of torture!

Cynthia

Batik is one of the more difficult fabrics to work on---and you have it top and bottom. Do you have any of the Silicon Spray. I think Kingsmen quilting sells it. 11 oz. can. by Sullivan. "For Sewing--Silicone Spray" Heat stable silicone release agent.

If you spray this stuff directly on the batik top, and even the bottom fabric it really helps. Won't hurt the fabric. I use it on a lot of things, including right on the spool of thread. I also use it on my scissors and rotary cutters. You can spray it on the needle as well.

Worth a try---I've had good success with this spray.

Ultimately one of the problems that occurred is a huge pile of thread being sucked into the handwheel.

Geez Louise, I'm telling you I watch very carefully for thread movement when working from the back of the machine and when I realized I wasn't "sewing" I stopped (maybe a 3x3" area). There was SO MUCH THREAD sucked up, we had to open my Millie up, and cut a huge WAD of stuff out of her...

I need a flywheel cover....

Cynthia

Cynthia,

Until you get your flywheel cover, try putting some double sided tape along either side of your flywheel. It is not a cure all, and won't last forever, but it should help until the flywheel is ordered and received. I had the same problem until I ordered my flywheel cover, and it happened more than once!!

Update: Threw away the spool of thread. New one seems to work fine.

Also, I took one of my really expensive (sic) business cards, folded it in half and taped it over the handwheel.

My husband said he could come up with a better solution, I said "yeah, but not cheaper!".

Thanks everyone!

cynthia

Archived