Fabric Swap after the first of the year (update guidelines)

Oma

I've added these guidelines for our swap of Asian/Oriental fat quarters.  Just to firm things up or explain them further.  I may add more info into this thread, but the basic guidelines stay the same. 

1. Amount and kind of fabric needed for the swap: 2 1/2 yards of quilt-shop quality Asian/Oriental themed fabric cut into 10 fat quarters, which are 18" by the width of fabric and then cut again in half to give two pieces 18"x 22".

2. Those in two or three groups with double (or triple) the yardage, or may send two (or three) different sets. The same fabrics will be swapped into only one group. The second set will go into another group, so they will get back all different fabrics.

3. Everyone in one group will get one FQ of their own fabric back. That's the way it works. You send 10, you get back 10, but one of them is yours.

4. I will post a new thread listing the participants in each group.

5. Packages must be received by Feb. 15, 2015 so I can get them mailed out by March 1, 2015.  Please include pre-paid return envelopes or include cash or checks to cover the return postage.  I am still working on the best way to mail these, but for most of us the fabric should fit into a flat-rate envelope therefore controlling the cost.  

6. If you are only in one group you will send 10 FQ and you will receive 10 back.  We figured out that you can get 10 FQ out of 2½ yds of fabric.  Your 10 FQ you are sending will all be of the same fabric.  The 10 you get back will be 1 of yours and 9 different fabrics.

Send to:  Oma Naranjo  PO Box 852  Chowchilla, CA  93610 

Now I'm on my way to my room to cut the first 10 of mine and see what package I can make them fit into...lol. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...it's been decided...oriental fabrics and 20 fat quarters.  This gives you more fabric and therefore more options to use it and it's easier to cut.  Oriental because I haven't seen an oriental swap on here and there are so many beautiful fabrics out there.  They make beautiful quilts and everyone can move out of their box a little. 

The decision seems arbitrary, but originally Corey and I were going to do a swap, but then we thought it would be fun to see if others wanted to join us.  Oriental can include fabrics that are black with metallic or dragonflies or similar.  Doesn't have to be all geishas and cranes.  This will be fun.  I'll check the post office and see what postage will be.  I have to see how big of a box or envelope I need for 20 fat quarters. 

Not going to need to send until mid Feb. so everyone has plenty of time to have fun with it.  Yay!

Hi. I was just going to post with the same question!

Traditionally a swap is done to allow the swappers to expand their fabric stash/assortment. So usually you'll buy yardage of all one fabric, cut it into a specific size and number of pieces, and when swapped, end up with the same number of all different fabric pieces back. Buying different fabrics to swap defeats the purpose of gaining an assortment of prints if you already have them to start with! :D

It's just like the block swaps where you make X number of the same block using the same fabrics in each, and get back X number of different blocks from your swap-buddies.

I'll join as long as I only need to buy yardage of one fabric. ;) My LQS has their Asian lines at $12 per yard so it'll be $60 for enough yardage for 20 FQs.

You might need to decide on the number of fat quarters to send after you close the swap. If you get 16 people you'll only want to have them send 16 FQs, not 20. Otherwise you'll be sending back duplicates---which isn't a bad thing I guess!

When you get your final count of swappers you can determine the yardage needed. If you have a huge number of swappers you can put them into two groups so no one has to buy lots of yardage. And anyone who wants lots can join two groups and swap the same fabric.

Hoping this goes through---I love Asian fabrics!

Wow!  Thanks Linda.  It does make sense to buy all one fabric and get back a lot of different ones.  All LQS quality of course.  It would depend on how many people join.  Probably should limit it to 10 per group and you can join as many groups as you want and that might make it a little more cost effective for some.  If we limit it to 10 people you would only have to have 2.5 yards of fabric and would still get a nice sampling back.  And if you joined two groups you would get a different ten samples.  I hadn't really thought about the fact that you only get 4 fat quarters from a yard of fabric so that meant 5 yrds of fabric.  I never really thought about that aspect at all...duh.  However, I did just finish up my Christmas shopping...lol.

Ok...input people...what do you want? 

Oma count me in for (1) group.  This will be a great adder to some special sample square my daughter brought from Japan. I think giving her a throw would be very nice.  Also, if you could post pictures of some of your patterns would be very nice. This will be soo much fun. 

Will there be restrictions on the fabric quality (No Box Store Fabric)?  I really would not like to have less than Quilt Shop Quality, because that is what I will purchase to swap. 

There are so many patterns for Asian fabric and most seem to involve focus blocks with sashing, or a panel surrounded by sashed squares and/or rectangles. I'm excited to swap and see some pretty examples of patterns.

I'll link to a customer quilt from several years ago to show an example of un-sashed piecing. Her fabrics were more East Indian or Persian, but the effect was lovely and i wonder if I can try something like it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/15816801437/

Lo and behold, I opened my sewing room closet this morning and there was this 5-1/4 yard piece of beautiful LQS quality Asian print I had forgotten about. Do you think it was meant to be for the swap? If so, I'm a psychic as I bought it a few years ago!! LOL

I have a picture of a very scrappy quilt I just quilted for a gal, all Asian prints. I'll see if I can attach it to this post. It's just one more possible pattern that would look good using a layer cake. The lights could be a solid or just one light-colored Asian fabric. She brought the pattern with her when she dropped off the quilt and it is called "Dominics Treasure." I had no luck in finding it on the internet when I did a search for it.

I'm thinking I may use Sew Kind Of Wonderful's QCR patterns for mine. :)

post-5206-0-28603300-1418410801_thumb.jpg

Archived