Adding quilting after using Circle Lord

dbams

Thanks again for the advice offered when I asked about getting started with Circle Lord boards.  I have finished 2 quilts with the Milky Way board, and really love how they turned out!

I want to use that board again on a Quilts for Kids quilt, but they request that the stitching be no more than 1" apart, and the Milky Way design is not that dense.  My thought was to stitch out the pattern, and then do some FMQ to fill in the areas that need additional stitching.  Would it be best to stitch the whole quilt with the Milky Way pattern, and then go back and do the FMQ, or to add the FMQ before I advance the quilt for the next rows of the CL pattern?

QFK quilts are all "comfort" size, so this is about 45" x 54", if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

If you stitch it all the way with the boards first and then add more, you might find the rhythm of the FMQ  is easier to maintain. Your brain won't be switching back an forth between keeping the path of the CL board foremost and then deciding where to FMQ. With that said, it doesn't matter which sequence you do the stitching---it'll work out either way. 

1" apart seems pretty dense to me! You can easily add a row of random stars between the rows of the Milky Way or even add a line of echoing after you stitch each pass. Good luck!

Looking at QFK website it states quilting should be about 2" apart. Longarm quilting is typically denser than FMQ on a domestic machine, IMHO the Milky Way board should meet the QFK standards.

Thanks, Linda & Vickie! 

I could swear the QFK guideline was 1", but you're right, Vickie, it definitely says 2" on the web-site.  Don't know if they changed it, or if this is just another instance of me skipping a mental stitch. :D  I agree, Milky Way should be OK.  However, if I ever want to add quilting to a CL design, now I have Linda's excellent advice!

What size Milky Way do you have? I am getting ready to order some new boards and was wondering about the sizes. I will use it for QOV and others.

Has anyone gotten a board that they would not recommend for any reason? Or something they would recommend over others.

I have the Double Baptist Fan - not one I will use a lot but love it on the right quilt

Swirls - love it!

Cosmos - great design

Archived