Lenni is sick

Penny, my Lenni is having a problem.  Whenever she can she stops to get sick.  Any pills or shots I can give her?

What happens is: going across the quilt she suddenly will only quilt under a strong handhold,  too hard for me to manage  doesn't matter what direction,  doesn't matter what thread or bobbins I am using.. this has happened several times and getting more frequent the more I use her.

different fabrics, different battings don't affect it.

What we Have Tried.

Checked wheels and cleaned

checked axles

checked rails and cleaned 

checked threads top and bottom.. no hangups, no drag in thread paths,  used prewound, magna and my wound bobbins, with various combo's on top.

Made sure the SR wheels are clean and making good contact

made sure no electric line or other line is dragging, and has no tension dragging it down.

checked the fuse just for the heck of it.

the side clamps are not affecting it,

Wouldn't let Himself under the hood, unless it was when I wasn't available to stop him

Please, do any of you know what this mystery virus is?  The vomit stinks!

Thanks,  Rita

Rita:  It sounds like one or more of your wheels might be failing.  Carefully check each wheel to see if it rotates smoothly.  Lift each corner of the machine and carriage and rotate each wheel carefully looking for any signs of roughness in how each rotates.  If you find any roughness or looseness, the wheel needs to be replaced.  The beginning of bearing failure could manifest itself this way.  Sometimes rotating in place OK, sometimes out of place and rotating poorly.  Good luck.  Jim

Thanks Jim.  We did check the wheels more than once. when cleaning and when checking for threads or

lint in the wheel at the axle, and again when cleaning the wheels and rails.

Thanks for your tip, it's one that can easily be overlooked.

We even checked table level, floor level, side to side and front to back, all is good.

Thanks for trying to help. 

thanks ladies, for your tips on the wheels.  How do I check them out?  We spun them one way then the other and several times on each wheel.

If it were the bearings or wheels,  why doesn't it do it all the time?  This is sporadic.

It also clears if we just let her sit for a bit, or turn the machine off and back on which is the quickest and I usually use.

and  there's  not time enough for the wheels to cool.

Hmmm just had a thought,  it seems to always happen when the needle is down.  Can check that out today, I hope. 

Also It seems to be in SR mode.  I won't be free handing on this quilt, but can try the next one.

Thanks again you two. 

Archived