Micro stippling and needle size / thread

Deb34285

Okay,

The newbie is back with more needle / thread questions. What size needle / thread are you all using for micro stippling ? ...... I am listening to you guys and have changed out my needles to a MR 3.5. and MR 4.0 - holes just look so big with lots of thread. I am using bottom line.... Could it be newbie technique? Lol.

Oh and I might as well spare you guys another needle question and ask about monopoly or nylon monofilament thread and needle size too !

Thanks in advance for all your patience and generous input !!

Debbie

Debbie, 

Have you checked out Superior's website reference guides? They give good advice on all of the above. I use the 3.5 needles for most of my work; Bottom Line is a thinner thread so the needle hole may look big. The needle holes relax a lot after taking it off the frame and if it a piece you can wash; they will close up. I highly recommend Bob's free DVD on thread, tension & needles. I can't remember the name of it right now; but it usually is offered free at checkout.

http://www.superiorthreads.com./reference-guides/

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply. I think I am having a hard time adjusting coming from a DSM to the George. On the DSM you change your needle according to what you are sewing(fabric) or using (thread).I am slowly getting the message that we are somewhat limited on these industrial machines as to what we use needle-wise due to the timing of our machines and the type of needle they require. I have seen many a beautifully quilted quilt that came off a longarm , so I guess that leaves me with improving my technique (sigh) :).

Thanks again,

Debbie

Debbie, you might want to check out what Beth Schillig is doing with her George, size 12 Schmetz needles, and 100 wt. silk thread:

http://www.bethschillig.com/

Beth is also a George representative and I am sure that she could answer any questions you might have about different sizes of needles and different threads.

I also know of other George users who regularly use size 11 Schmetz needles.  I haven't worked on a project with them yet, but I have played around with them and 100 wt. silk thread and the results have been fabulous.

It's important to note that these Schmetz needles are longarm needles, not the domestic machine needles.

You are most certainly not limited to larger needles.  

Have fun!

Brenda

Archived