Selecting Quilting Designs

As a newbie I am trying to learn as much as possible. Where can I find information on how to know where to put different designs on your quilt?

Example: which designs work well in squares,circles, etc......

Is this something you can read in a book? Or are there certain

design principles to follow? Any help given or advice is truly

appreciated!! Thanks!!

You'll get lots of advice for books, You tube tutorials, DVDs and instructors. Before you invest money in these products, look at quilter's blogs, Flickr accounts, and galleries on websites to find a style that appeals to you.

If you're looking for basics, my favorite instructors are--

Deloa Jones (her Sampler book is invaluable)

Darlene Epp (her trilogy of design books is a longarmer's "bible")

Myrna Ficken

Kim Brunner

Pam Clarke (beginners will be inspired by her easy first steps)

Diana Phillips

Angela Walters for modern

As for what and where to place designs, it depends on the density of stitching and the intended use and recipient. You'd stitch a different design on the same quilt if it was for a teenage boy or a new bride.

Rules--there are none, but curves on straight and/or geometric designs are appealing.

Straight lines are nice on Modern quilts. Circles inside squares are nice. Echoes give added weight and emphasize stitching or fabric designs.

An overall design can include motifs used in the fabric--floral fabric is nice with leaves in the stitching, paisley fabric can have a some more ornate curls and scrolls, panels with wildlife are nice with water designs, samplers can be as detailed as you or your customer want. Samplers are fun, with the same type of stitching in each block, but each block is a little different. That gives you a lot of practice.

The same principles that apply to other art are used in deciding quilting designs--symmetry, balance, texture, light and shadow, intensity of color/tone, etc. 

Have a great time on your journey---it's a great ride!

Yeah...what Linda said. Im a Deloa Jones and Darlene Epp fan,too. Darlene's triology books ought to be required for every new long-armer! You will learn so much from watching the posts from the experienced quilters here. And dont forget the pictues on pinterest. Several of the instructors have videos on Craftsy that you can pick up for 1/2 price if you dont get in a hurry.

Ditto, what Linda said...  One thing I always do before I start a custom quilt is take a photo of the top, print it out in Black and White and then doodle on it!  Just start and see where your imagination goes.  You are not committed, start over/erase as many times as you like. Here is an example: 

post-62883-0-04161800-1425869950_thumb.jpg

Great advice above.  I also relied heavily on quilting designs provided in magazines such as American Patchwork and Quilting and Fons and Porters Love of Quilting.  I would keep those pages in a notebook to help with brain freeze.  Also, don't try to cram too many elements into one quilt.  By that I mean, you might have CC's, Variations of curls, and some loops.  Keep a simple design that can be replicated in spots on the quilt.  Don't forget that stencils can be a great help for all of us...beginner or not.  Good luck!

this is all great advice... I have quilted for awhile now and still this information is great!!!

I have learned a lot on you tube.... pinterest (I love).... I have lots of books... going to guild meeting and seeing what others do there...

some of my clients will bring me their quilts and let me study the work others have done (which is really nice of them.... but you have to ask them what others have done that they like otherwise they won't offer, I have found)

I love going to quilt show and take longarm classes...

Linda?  You mentioned Diana Phillips.  I am curious?  What do you know about her.  I think I know her, but didn't realize how "famous" she was. 

Diana Phillips "invented" Line Dancing--those continuous-line designs that are the backbone of sampler and custom quilting. She has several self-published books and used to teach at all the big shows. Here's a site that sells her books.

http://www.lovetoquilt.com/books/diana_phillips_quilting_books.htm

I'm not sure if she still has a website. It used to be Cozy Creations, but I can't find it on-line. 

Linda....that's her!  She quilted my first quilt that I ever sent out.  I was put on a two year waiting list to get her to do mine.  In fact, I think I was the "last" quilt that she did, too.  Since then, I bought my long arm.  Diana sold EVERYTHING and was giving away a lot of her quilt blocks (some of which I received).  She sold both of her long arms and I think her sewing machines, all her supplies and then just fell off the face of the earth. She hasn't answered my last couple of e-mails or a friend of mine either.  Don't know what happened.   

Sadly, Diana's husband died several years ago and she retired from quilting and the show circuit. Then she was back for a while and I took a class from her at the last Innovations. I think that might have been 2008. She's a very sweet and funny lady. So sad that she seems to be isolated, but she may be coping the best she can. Or who knows, she may be living the retirement that she wants. 

Archived