Needles and Thread

I just ordered some rayon thread. I havent ever used it before, and I am wondering if there is a specific type of needle that I should use? I was reading about MR needles in a different post and I also wonder what the difference is between sharps and ball points?

So I'm here to pick the brains of those more experienced than myself :)

Cyn

Someone suggested that I use ball points when appliqueing on knitted material (like collared pullovers). They said that the ball point keeps the needle from cutting the strands in the material. I use sharps for hand work on bindings. When I took a hand applique class, we got all variety of needles and were told to use what felt best.

Donna

I also would like to know about needles... I am new have only quilted about 30 small quilts since I got my Millie a few months back and I have been noticing the holes the needle leaves seem big to me like the fabric is tin punched after I am done. I actually held one up to the light and it was a pretty light show. I am changing needles regularly and it does not seem to stop it. I am using only quilt shop quality fabric too and have been wondering if my tension is just too tight. Is anybody else experiencing this? I am new and kinda dizzy... I am going to APQS to take the classes asap, but for now could use quilter advice. any ideas ladies, please send em my way... I talked to a friend here that uses only 3.0-3.5 needles in her Gammill. Can we use em in our Millies??? Where wold we get em if so.

thx!

Happily quilting in this cold snowy weather today in usually lovely :DSouthern California...

I see holes in the fabric if I'm using a thinner thread. When using cotton thread, I see fewer holes simply because I think the thicker thread fills up the holes. A 4.0 is an 18 and a 3.5 is a 16. I use 3.5 on some quilts but with quilts that have thicker seams, I stick with a 4.0. I'd be a bit nervous about using a 3.0. If the needle breaks, you can make holes in the quilt.

Kings Men has the MR needles that you can purchase by packs of 10 or packs of 100.

You may try loosening your tension a bit but if you are happy with your stitches, remember where your tension is now so you can put it back if the new stitches aren't as good.

Once the quilts are washed, you will likely not see the holes.

Archived