APQS does not recommend waxing the rails. This was a recommendation 10 years ago or so. The older machines had composite wheels (they looked like compressed wood) but with most people having M&M wheels or others that are a rubber compound, waxing isn't recommended. Cleaning any oxidation on the wheels is something that should be done regularly and will keep your machine gliding nicely. What model and year machine do you have? New wheels might help, or an adjustment of the ones you have.

I have the M&M wheels, my machine still feels like I am manhandling it instead of it moving on its own.  I use Pledge on the rails, it helps for about two passes.  I have made sure the frame is level many times, adjusted the carriage, talked to the service techs.  Nothing seems to help except putting something on the rails.  I have used the Renaissance wax and like it, just don't take the time to use it properly.  Pledge is easier!  My machine is 14 years old, and that is the one problem I have with it.  If I don't put something on the rails sometimes it just won't move.  Even the wax is a temporary fix. 

Pattiquilts:  It sounds like your wheels need adjustment.  The wax just lets them slide instead of turning properly.  When the wax is used up they won't slide.  With M&M's you machine should glide effortlessly.  Work on the adjustment until it moves smoothly.  Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Archived