New Lenni,

I just got my Lenni set up yesterday, and am a total newbie to longarm quilting and free motion quilting. So pretty excited! I'm having trouble getting my tension just right, first the top thread was pulling out the quilt bottom on the turns. Now the bobbin thread is pulling to the top on turns...

Hi Gigi.  Congratulations on the new lenni!  Nothing like just diving in.  If I understand you right, you're saying the top thread is pulling to the back on curves and the same for the bobbin to the top.  My lenni's tension was set when it was delivered and I didn't have to touch it.  If yours is off you might need to adjust it.  But first try slowing down on the turns before doing any adjusting.  And you might need to tweek it just a little.  I have never adjusted my bobbin tension.  I have found working with just the top tension is sufficient.  You didn't say the rest of your stitches were off, so I suggest slowing down and try to keep an even speed/motion throughout.  Having said all that, I could be totally off :(.  Another suggestion is test your tension before you start by doing tight circles, sharp turns, zigzags, etc. and see how your tension looks.

Yep .....I had mine set up by the pro's and it stitched fine until I switched threads...There is a learning curve for setting tension....I finally decided to get the tension right and then stick with the same thread for the next several quilts.  One of the most important things I learned is to always check the thread path to make sure it is right....I had one very frustrating quilt only to discover that the thread was no longer going through a thread guide ...and that was what was doing it.  I have slowly been adding other types of threads and making the tension adjustments is getting a bit easier....I did get a couple of extra bobbin cases and have set the tension on these for a particular type of thread.  Did you get your Lenni new?  what type of thread and batting are you using?  There was just a good article on tension posted in the "blog" portion of this website...I think the date was May 19, 2015 so check that out and it explains a lot of factors that affect tension including info and what causes tensions problems in certain directions.....hang in there....it will get easier and like one of my teachers used to say.."every problem presents a chance for learning something"  Good luck...keep us informed of how you are doing and what you have tried.  Lin

Thank you for the helpful info, I've tried slowing down, which seems to have helped immensely. It is brand new, so lots of learning to do. And I could take some advice from the tortoise, "Slow and steady wins the race".

Archived