Silk Thread

Have any of you used silk thread? I have a quilt I think I might want to use silk thread for the stippling but I'd like to hear from someone who's used it before I try it. I will need to order several spools and it isn't cheap so . . any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have no experience quilting with silk threads but I do have a question for you. What is it about the quilt that makes you want to use silk thread? I have no imagination when it comes to picking out thread for a quilt and would like to get some insight as to why you might use different threads for different quilts. (If that makes any sense.) Thanks.

Please don't ask me why I do things because I never know why! Ricky Tims does a lot of quilting with silk thread and I have this idea for quilting my fractured lone star. I want to enter it in shows and I'm thinking I'd like to try silk -- no particular reason.

I think regular cotton, even 50 weight, will be too thick for the microstippling. I want more weight than the Bottom Line though.

The background is a mossy green and part of the star is purple. I want to use purple/lavender thread for the stipple on the green. Here's the top:

post--13461897607217_thumb.jpg

Judy,

I have used Silk Thread on one quilt and it wasn't as easy as one would think. I have the ULT II which doesn't have a thread regulator on it so I don't have the ability to slow down my motor speed and keep my stitches exact, one of the things I would like to upgrade someday.

HOWEVER, when I finished with the quilt it did look lovely, but I wasn't as impressed with the thin thread as I had thought I would be...it looked so fragile and I told the customer that I wasn't sure how it would wash up should she not take special care of how she washed it....I really don't think if she put it into a regualar washer (something I always tell them not to do) that the agitation wouldn't cause the threads to snap....Silk Thread if a good quality is a strong thread, but I didn't think it would hold up with the agitation, the weight of the water and the materials fighting each other.

That is my experience with Silk Threads, it was pretty, I didn't mico-stipple it, but it was a smaller stipple...Not to sure I would use it again.

Bonnie

Hi Judy,

Your quilt is gorgeous! I read somewhere that the 100 weight silk thread is recommended for micro stippling, It should disappear into the fabric. Those unfamiliar with silk thread, it's considered the strongest. A 50 weight cotton is recommended for bobbin thread. No doubt Bottom Line would work really well too. Good luck with this. Dying to see it done!:D

Always in stitches,

Sylvia

Judy,

I have bought the 100 weight at Web of Thread web site. They have both weights, 50 and 100. You should be able to adjust your machine to handle the 100 weight as it is a strong thread. You must promise to post the picture of this quilt when you're done.

Archived