apqs vs. gammill

I haven't bought my APQS machine yet, but I did ask at my local quilt shop about the gammills. The lady there has been using a gammill for years and said that I needed to make sure that I could find someone to service the machine regularly. When I talked to Myrna she said that the APQS machines are easy to fix by the user if there is ever a problem. I just hate the idea of having to have someone else do all the maintenance or having to send it in to the factory ever time a switch goes out etc...

I would be interested to hear others who know comment on this as well.

Kim

Erinn.

How long have you had your EZ-Q. Have you liked it? Are you new to the chat? Do you have a quilting business or are you quilting for your own pleasure? If you read some of the past posts it should not be had to convince:)

Here are some question to ask yourself.

Are you looking for a larger machine such as a Millie or maybe a smaller Liberty? Stitch regulated, is the power advance feed important? What about stitches quality, ease of sitting, really easy to maintain and light weight? Adjust the machine to the way you like it to move. These are some just of the features I like and why I chose APQS

Not to mention we have a great chat and everyone is so helpful :)

Myrna

Hi Erin

If you've found the service from APQS to be great or that you haven't need to use it - I'd stick with what works! Our machines have come a long way technically since the EZ I'm sure you would love any of the larger models.

I'm sold on APQS when I read the technical information on the Home page about Smart Bobbin, our stitch regulator, our horizontal wheel alignment, as well as that our machines are so easy to maintain you don't need a service person and the Millennium manual is so thick with information, if you dropped it on your foot - you'd break a toe!!

Which size machine are you looking at? Don't forget there is a Freedom SR (stitch regulated without the thread cutter and channel locks) for a considerable cost saving.

Good luck researching your next quilting investment - there are lots of people here to help and tell you of their experiences.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Guest Linda S

I've been a member of several quilting chat groups for about three years now. It seems that I've seen more posts about problems running different threads on Gammill machines. I have no thread problems with my APQS. I did use a Gammill once in a hands on class at a quilting show. It was a nice machine, but I couldn't figure out how to thread it for the life of me. I think I'd rather have a machine with the best stitch regulator on the market where I didn't have to fuss so much with my threads.

Linda

I'm not sure the EZ-Q has sold me totally on APQS, but then it's old and used and might not be performing up to snuff. What I've learned is that longarm (or shortarm, in this case) quilting in definitely something I enjoy doing and want to pursue, which was my goal in purchasing this machine. I didn't want to jump into a $15,000 to $17,000 machine without a quilt or two under my belt. I've test driven the Gammills and was shocked at how far longarms have come since mine was made, but won't be able to experience a new APQS until Thursday. I also, honestly, haven't been too impressed with the APQS customer service. I called four times over a span of two days and finally at the end of the second day got a call back so that I could BUY stuff. If it's hard to buy from a company, I'm not sure how they'll be once I've bought. Everyone has mentioned the great customer service, but I just didn't see it. I have, however, seen the Gone Quilting video and it was pretty convincing. So there is my dilemma, with more detail than anyone probably wants. I want the best machine, with the best service. I'm not sure either machine would be a huge mistake, but I want my quilting time to be as problem-free as possible. Thanks to everybody for your comments.

Erinn

Erinn,

I am no expert. I have only used a Gammill once, but I know a lot of people with Gammills. I have a Millie, and have not had any problems to speak of, there are always the getting aquainted pains in the beginning, but me and my machine are good friends now. I have had to call APQS for different things, and sometimes I have had to leave a message, but someone has always called back. I had to do a self talk and tell myself I am not the only person out there that they are dealing with today...sometimes I think I am. I wasn't going to comment because there are others more qualified than me, but I just wanted to say, if you love to quilt as you said you do, then give the APQS a try (I think you said on Thursday), and see what you think, before you form an opinion. They are really great machines.

I to started out with the EZ-Q quilting machine at least 15 years ago...you really cant compare that machine to the others...I upgraded nine or ten years ago to the Ultimate II...I am not sure which machine is equal to that one now...My choice was made simply because APQS is only a couple of hours away from me in case I had to have repairs done...I have never had any trouble ordering ...they have "talked " me thru repairs...and thru mistakes I had made...Good luck

I joined this forum because it is the best place for advice, help and inspiration......I own a Gammill and I love my machine. It runs wonderfully, is quiet, handles all types of threads and have had no problems with tension or anything...customer service is great! My two best friends own APQS, one a Mille and one an Ult. II....they are great machines also! I believe both companies turn out wonderful quilting machines and it is mostly a personal preference decision. I don't believe in bashing other brands of quilting machines.....try them all out....and make a decision on which machine suits you best.

That's great! I don't have a machine yet, but I always get so excited when I see that someonelse is getting theirs! I know how much research goes into the decision and how scary it can be just weeding through all the pros and cons before shelling out that kind of money. I know it takes commitment...to yourself, confidence in your vision for yourself and in your abilities, & the ability to encourage yourself when those around you are looking at you with raised eyebrows, and dedication to learn and then put what you've learned into practice, practice, practice!!!! :P Enjoy your Millie!

Jumping up and down and hugging back! If I get this excited over someone getting something they really, really want just think what I'll be like when I get mine. Who am I kidding!! I'll fall down in the floor and cry! :o I'll be scared to touch it, might just sit and stare at it for weeks to make sure it's not going to pack itself up and jump on the first truck out of Texas!

Archived