Varying Top Tension while Stitching

I need to preface this by saying that I just did a hopping foot bar replacement with Amy's help.  Managed to quilt a small charity quilt successfully but had some weird tension issues.  Today setting up one of my own quilts and am trying to get tension issue under control before I start this one.  

Here is what is happening.  The top thread will become very tight tension and then have a release of tension creating loops below and loops of top thread below.  When  I pull the thread through with my hands I believe that I feel these tugs.  At first I thought it was the new thread that I was trying.  After eliminating that issue, I am back to maybe the take up spring or tension assembly.  I have readjusted these and am getting the same irregular stitch line.  Anyboy have any idea what I need to do?  I am at a loss.  

OK so you just changed the hopping foot, is it set at the right height?  1 - 2 business cards.  If that is good then check you thread path.  Have you tried another cone of thread?  If so then it can't bee that.  Check to see if you have a burr on one of the pigtails.  It sounds like your thread is catching on something so I would check the pigtail, spool, do you have batting in the thread guide above the spool?  If so is it getting tangled?  Clean out the tension disk and make sure there isn't something in there.  

Thanks, Heidi.  Hopping foot is fin.  And, I did change the thread cone several times.  I will look for a burr.  No batting in the thread guide, so that is not it.  I think I cleaned the tension disk, but will do so again.  Thanks for all the good ideas.  Really weird what it is doing.  .

Of course you've completely re-threaded your machine. ( when I was fiddling with mine the other day, got a loop of thread around one of the rear thread guides which gave me a lot to thread tension)  That not being the case, review your hopping foot bar installation.  It sounds as if the timing on the hopping foot might be off, or the bar might be loose.  That probably isn't what's wrong, but since that was the change you made before the problem showed up, it would be good just to make sure.

I've noticed that if the take up spring is misbehaving, I get a small loose stitch on the top thread.  If that's one of your symptoms, make sure the tension assembly is clamped far enough out from the machine so the spring can't touch the head.  Also make sure you're getting a full cycle of the spring (I think it should rest at about the 11 o'clock position)  I set mine at 11:30, but then I've replaced my original tension assembly with a rotary system, so it's a bit different than the original.  Good luck.  Jim

Just got back from the Vet with my two dogs and a trip to order a new microwave.  Our microwave gave up the ghost on Friday morning!  Seven years old, but used lots.  Anyway, I have reinstalled the tension assembly because I think I had it too far into the machine.  Will also check for burrs.  Maybe there is play in the hook collar.   I did take Dawn Cavanaugh's maintenance class that was offered here in Houston last winter.  I think it is a good thing I took that.  Will let you know and a big thank you to each of you for the input.  mona

I would like to suggest that you check the bobbin winder to see if it is winding correctly. I had many issues with my stitching until I finally got a good bobbin winder. The one that came with my machine was awful. Never could get it to wind a consistent bobbin.

Debbie 

Archived