Homemade Enchilada Sauce

We are a "Taco Tuesday" kind of family, but as much as I like me some tacos, sometimes I'd just like to mix it up a little bit and do a different kind of Mexican dish.... hence our "Mexican Monday" dish of chicken and black bean enchiladas (with corn on the cob to boot!). I'm sharing this because I came across the best homemade red enchilada sauce on Pinterest the other day that has saved me quite a bit of money (those big cans of enchilada sauce can get pricey!!). There are seven of us in the family, so I need quite a bit of sauce, plus one of the pans needs to be dairy free (but also gets to be spicier!!), so I ended up doubling the recipe (actually just made two individual batches). The following recipe is for a single batch (probably about 2 cups of sauce). If you like enchiladas like we do, I hope that you find this recipe fits well into your cooking repertoire. Enjoy

In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 oil (I use a canola blend) then add 2 T flour, 2T chili powder, 1/2 tsp salf, 1/2-1 tsp onion powder, and 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder (I mix this all together in a prep bowl first) and whisk into the oil stirring constantly for about three minutes. Then add 1 1/2 C chicken broth and an 8 oz can tomato sauce. Whisk until smooth and allow to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Use immediately or store in the fridge until ready to use (makes an excellent topping for scrambled egg burritos!). Enjoy!

Blessings!

Archived