Battynurse

Bobbin problems and getting started

You do not need a TOWA gauge.  I was just asking if you had one, to see if the bobbin case would fit over the TOWA gauge shaft as it is the same size as the shaft on your APQS.  Do not worry about the gauge.  Good luck fixing your issue.

Cagey

May your threads be balanced, and your bobbin forever full….

I agree, Carol.  You can use other bobbin cases as long as they meet APQS specs for size, etc.  IMO its best for a newbie to start with the proper APQS parts and work up from there.  

<p>Vickie Oliver Beachside Quilter APQS Rep SW FL 2013 New Gen Millennium, Quilt Path

239-209-0990. Beachsidequilter.com

Batty:  It's a little difficult to tell, but it looks to me like the bobbin case latch is out of place.  It looks like the latch is too far to the left.  Looking at mine (which is an M not an L, but works the same way) my latch tip is further to the right - it extends all the way to the edge of the bobbin case.  The latch slides back and forth as you pull on it ( slides to the left when pulled, and back to the right when released).  The sliding action is what locks it in the bobbin basket.  There is a spring that pushes it back to the right when you release the lever.  If the latch is stuck, it won't snap over the bobbin basket shaft, and won't go all the way in.  Check it out.  Jim

I did order several new cases so I'm still waiting to use my machine. in the meantime I finished another quilt top for a wall hanging quilt yesterday and nearly have the binding on one of my quilts I quilted on my DSM.

The actual bobbin was a filtec prewound magnaglide bobbin. I'm pretty sure that the case doesn't go to this machine as the case was not fitting with or without the bobbin. The center wasn't large enough to slide over the post in the housing.