George: Tutorials and How To's? Need YOUR ideas!

Good morning! I'm hoping to open a conversation about what George owners would like to see i.e. tutorials and how to information on that might be George specific? I noticed many mentions in older posts that there wasn't as much content and classes for the George machines as for the long arm machines.

So, I'd like to hear from you! What would YOU like to see, know more about and learn on the George?

Stephanie:

As a George owner I can say the following;

1. Thread tension, thread threading, needle selection, bobbin tension, APQS machine maintenance/repair, are all the same on George or any other APQS.  Remove the feet from your George stick on some wheels, jerry rig a hand motor speed control, put it on quilting table, and George is transformed into a true longarm. 

2. Any training program/class or video where the instructor teaches you a design, either on a DSM, a sit-down, or longarm machine, can be used on a George.  If taught on a longarm, you simply move the fabric verses moving the machine head.  I have taken in person longarm classes, and simply taken my DSM to the class.  While the longarmers shared the machines, I had my DSM all to myself.  The instructor would simply draw out any designs or show me how to do something on paper or on the longarm, verses stitching it out on my DSM.  I am a firm believer that if you can draw/doodle, you can quilt.  

3. Longarm DVDs or online classes as to how to load the top, binding, and bottom are interesting, but not much use for George owners.  Though, it has helped me better understand how the thread gets buried inside the sandwich.  

4.  Patsy Thompson has posted here and has many DSM/George video tutorials on YouTube or online that I have found very helpful.  She uses the George to show how you can use rulers and templates on a sit-down machine. 

5.  Concerning in person classes, you will need to check with your local quilt/sewing machine shop to see what classes are available in your area.  As George is rather large, I would hazard to guess you would take your DSM to those types of classes.  Most shops would not be prepared for or have the floor space for 10, much less 20 to 30, large sit-down owners to shop up with their machines for a class.  If you can quilt it on you DSM, you  can quilt it on your George, or visa versa.   

6.  Checking out your site, I see you are a fabric artist.  I have learned a lot from my local fabric artist.  Not so much how to quilt,  though I did take a quilting class with her when I first started quilting.  She has taught me more how to use, and combine fabrics to draw a picture.  More importantly, she teaches us how to look at  things most of us would throw in the trash, and turn them into something to use on a quilt top or wall hanging.  She has gotten me to save those dumb dye catchers, verses throwing them in the trash when the colors really strike me.   

I whole heartedly support you posting your designs or finished quilts or wall hangings, here.  If you have a how to video of your own you want to share, please provide us with a link.   I am sure all of us will watch them.  It may not be "our thing", but we will all learn a thing or two and use it in our work.  

It is no different than Brenda's recent posting of her IQA Silent Auction Mini-Quilt; http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/38134-iqa-silent-auction-mini-quilt/  Brenda did not give us a video of how she quilted out the quilt, though she did answer questions as to how she marked the quilt top, got  them out when she was finished, and other questions.  For me, her photos got my creative juices flowing.  It made me think that the next time I go to the quilt shop, I am going to pick up two fat quarters of solid colored fabric.  From my stash( which started out as a 15x15 inch tote that I thought was too large, that's morphed into fabric in boxes and bags which I know is too large), I am sure I can find an appliqué design.  It may take me a few days or even a month, to practice/increase my quilting skills, but in the end I will have a nice min-quilt or wall hanging.  It is back to the artistry of turning something ordinary into extraordinary.  For me, that is what this forum, and APQS is all about.  Bringing out those hidden gems deep down inside all of us.  

Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Cagey

Stephanie:

Sorry about reading your post wrong.  For me, I always enjoy seeing how to use rulers/templates on George.  I am sure there are many techniques out there that I have never heard of, but would help my quilting.  As I have an older model George without a true ruler foot, I would like to learn more how to use rulers with this type foot.  

If there are any non-visible to the naked eye ways to mark your quilt tops for quilting, I would like to learn about them.  I think that would be a great improvement, to mark your quito tops.  Something that would be visible under black light that would work on both dark or light fabric, that would totally go away with a little heat.  

Any training videos showing how to quilt a new or old design more easily.

Cagey

Stephanie:

Flip flop foot that cannot be taken off without replacing the entire hopping foot bar and retiming the machine.  http://shop.apqs.com/Flip-Flop-Foot_p_125.html  Below are photos of my actual George's foot.

Also, the older style hopping foot bar was not bent in a manner that allows a ruler to be used 365 degrees around the hopping foot.  That is to say, I cannot use a ruler on the back side of the hopping foot as the ruler will hit the bar and is pushed away from the actual hopping foot.  I can only use a ruler/template about 270 degrees around the hopping foot ring.  I have to go real slow, to be sure the ruler does not get on top of the hopping foot.  The hopping foot does not rise enough to get under the hopping foot.  

post-65706-0-00053000-1438968079_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-68141600-1438968044_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-76382700-1438968000_thumb.jpg

I could upgrade my George to the new two piece hopping foot bar, but I am reluctant to take on the retiming process as well as George is working.   Until, then I am limited in my ruler usage.

Cagey

Archived