Help all you experts out there. I was quilting along earlier when all of a sudden I heard a thud and looked down to see the needle had fallen out of my machine. I stopped. Changed the needle and was on my way. The needle was not broken. Five minutes later there was an awful plunk and I looked at the needle and it was also out of the head and broken off. The machine sounded awful then just went off. Everything was stuck. Figured I then blew a fuse. I could not get the fuse drawer out. I will have to wait for my DH to get home and help me on that. Now the big problem is the sharp end of the needle is wedged diagonally between the hook and whatever else is down there. Here is a pic. The bobbin case came out but the bobbin itself with thread will not. I've removed the needle plate to try and access it from above. The piece stuck won't budge even with tweezers. The hand wheel won't move it. I've tried getting it out from below also and it won't budge. Any suggestions? And I suppose I will have to retime it when I get it out??

Oh and of course the pic is sideways. Sorry I don't know how to turn it around on my iPad.

post-6130-0-41611500-1440358627_thumb.jpg

You'll probably need to remove the hook assembly and replace it. Even getting the tip of the needle out, the assembly may be beyond saving. When you order the new assembly, get another needle set screw. When the needle just falls out, there's a groove in the end of the screw. No matter how hard you tighten the screw, the needle may still fall out. Check the end of the screw for a rounded indentation. If a miracle happens and your assembly is still usable, put the needle screw through the opposite side of the needle bar until you can get a replacement. Good luck and good thoughts that the damage is slight.

Just from your picture, can you take the head of a screw driver and push the tip of the needle back upwards where it came from.  It looks like that is what is holding the bobbin in place right now.  Once the bobbin is out, then maybe the broken needle will fall out.  From there you will have to see whether or not you have to re-time the machine or get a new part.  Good luck!

How do I remove the hook finger. What screw do I remove? I think that may help me get the needle unstuck. I'm afraid it's bad. The needle tip is wedged between what looks like the hook assembly and what is behind that. I've tried pushing it up and out with a screwdriver but it won't move. It's really stuck. I will go check the needle set screw also.

Do you have a link to how I may remove the hook assembly?

Update: found the link. Now to figure it all out. May have to wait until tomorrow now.

Ok got the broken tip out of the hook area. I had to loosen some screws enough to loosen up the finger to get it out. I think it may need some polishing on the outside of the assembly. Not sure if I need to replace it?? And probably re-timing. Scared to do it. Is it difficult? Can I do it myself or should I get some help from my hubby?

Ann

Not too hard to do. If you have a magnifying glass it will help. Watch the video a couple of times and go for it. Usually the first time it will take a while and you might have to do it more than once to get it right. Once you have it mastered you will be able to time your machine in under 10 minutes. Get hubby there for moral support.

Nigel

Archived