Suggestions for Kids Making Quilts

Help!!

My cousin teaches 7-8 year olds. She wants the kids to make a quilt and has asked me to help out. Well, in a nutshell, I'm clueless. My qustions are:

- Has anyone worked on a project of this kind?

- Can anyone recommend a book of children quilt projetcs for children to make?

- Can anyone recommend water proof pens, pencils or other drawing implements they could use to draw pictures on fabric?

Any and all suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Judy

Judy: There's one on my webshots page (link in my signature I hope) in the Comfort Quilts album that was made by the students in my son's 2nd grade class for a classmate with leukemia about 10 years ago. If you have any interest in that one, I can let you know how I did it.

Well, no link . . here's the picture.

post--13461897607825_thumb.jpg

Judy... Use fleece and tie the squares together. That is an easy way. or like Judy said let the students color and wirte on plain sheets of material and sew them together in a quilt. I am sure you can get some permanent markers to use on fabric.

Good luck. Let us know what you decided to do.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia. 50009

If you want kids to draw on fabric, take 2 sheets of freezer paper and iron the fabric onto the bottom sheet face down. Cut a square in the second piece the finished size of your square and iron it onto the top of your (oversized) block. This will prevent the kids from drawing/coloring all the way to the edge and losing part of a word or whatever.

There are some fabric pastels available that are really vibrant and colorfast.

Try a Google search for "Pentel Fabric Pastels" . You will find many sources and examples listed.

Another way to go would be to scan in existing drawings and print them out using the Fabric sheets available at some LQS or Bubblejet Set 2000.

Good luck on your project. A quilt is a great way to display kids art!

Guest Linda S

Judy - there have been a couple of episodes of Simply Quilts dealing with kids quilts done in classrooms. In particular is this one: http://diytv.com/diy/shows_qlt/episode/0,2046,DIY_15080_27580,00.html

It will tell you about the type of inks/paints they used which I think were heat set with an iron. I love these shows because the kids come up with such innovative 'out of the box' ideas. They are the ones I always end up taping. Perhaps you could find more information on the Alex Anderson page. I think there is also an associated project called 'planet quilt' or something like that, where kids enter quilt blocks or they make blocks in class and quilts are entered from each school. It has become a national competition. Of course, I could be dreaming!

P.S. If this link doesn't work, search HGTV or DIYTV for Simply Quilts, episode 614

Linda

As you work on the quilt with the children, you can take a digital photo of them hard at work, then transfer that to fabric and add it as a block or as the quilt signature. I made a quilt with another person for a friend - we distributed fabric to about 15 people for a message for her, then made a raggy quilt (which is her favorite style) using these squares. One of the squares was a photograph of us, hard at work :D. Before the quilt was assembled, my husband photographed the message squares and along with the quilt, we gave her the framed photograph of these great messages on fabric. You could certainly do something like that too, so the children have a record of their participation in the process. They love looking at themselves doing anything!

Thanks everyone for your responses and good suggestions. This will get me started in the right direction. The quilts are auctioned off at the school's yearly fundraiser. Is everyone sitting down? Last year, one of the quilts sold for $4,200.00!!! That's right folks. My cousin, who I'm helping with this project, said the quilt was not much to look at. Two mothers got into a bidding war.

Thanks to all of you again,

Judy

• 5 years later...

Archived