top thread breaking

I have a brand new Lenni and I have been doing a lot of practicing. Just tonight the top thread started breaking after sewing about an inch.  I changed the needle, rechecked my top thread path, inserted a new bobbin after blowing out the bobbin case with compressed air, and I do not know what to try next.  I have 40 wt glide in the top and 60 wt bobbin thread.  It has been working just fine with these threads until all of a sudden!  Any ideas??  Thanks! Nancy

Try pulling the top thread through the needle with your hand.  Watch where and the thread unwinds off the spool and flows though all the thread guides.  It may be catching someplace you can not see while it is sewing.  If the thread pull should be consistent the entire time you are pulling it.  I hope you find the problem soon.

Cagey

Completely unthread the top thread and start from scratch. Sometimes the thread gets a double-wrap around a guide. I somehow got mine wrapped twice around the tension spindle and it took me half a day to find it.

Another hint is when the thread breaks, hold the end and turn the fly wheel to raise the take-up lever. Bring the thread end towards the needle and check where it broke. If it's at or before the needle eye, your problem is on top. Look at your guides for roughness and check that the thread doesn't break easily because of age or defect. Check to see if the thread is flailing out and catching on a something. Put on a thread sock, use all the holes in the three-hole guide above the tensioner, and tighten the top thread a bit if you are experiencing "flailing".

If it breaks below the needle plate hole, you'll be looking for roughness in the needle hole, on the hook, or the hook retaining finger position.

I was having the same problem and called APQS after 3 days of grief. God bless my angel there, but after many, many suggestions, she asked if I was quilting white on white fabric and indeed I was. It seems the paint on the fabric gums up the needle. Who knew? So I will be using alcohol to keep the needle clean and then pray no more white on white shows up!

Don't hesitate to call for help; you'll be glad you did

Thanks for the help!  I think found it after trying all your ideas.  LInda, it was helpful to try to find out where the breakage happened.  It turned out to be my needle. It must have loosened and slipped a little. When I took it out and put it back in, I made sure it was completely seated.  So far so good!  It appears to have worked!

thanks again, Nancy

Archived