Myrna - Changing bobbin thread colour to suit quilt.

Hi Myrna,

I've just been looking at one of your albums on Webshots and noticed a quilt called "Christmas Ivy by Cokie Colton". Absolutely love this quilt (thanks for all the great photos and close ups). I notice that instead of using a neutral bobbin thread throughout on the back, you change the bobbin thread to suit the top. Is that because a cream bobbin thread would show a few "pokies" on the red pieced top? I'm new to this (haven't got my machine yet), so would you change the bobbin colour as you go, or do you do the whole quilt with one colour bobbin and then change to another colour to finish?

By the way, I think your studio is fantastic. When my husband gets his new factory unit, I'll be able to take over the office at home here, and turn it into a studio. Size looks similar (from what I can tell) to what you have there - but your set-up is awesome. What a lovely place to quilt. Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna steal some of your ideas for my set-up - especially that large table with all the drawers and the huge workspace. I'm hoping to kick my DH out in about 2 months - then I'll get my machine - probably a Milli. Can't wait.

Thanks again.

Hi Kathy,

Thank you. I usually do use the same color on top and in the bobbin. If the tension isn't perfect I would rather not seen any "pokies" on the back. I would like all my customers not to use a solid or a fabric that reads solid on the backing ( in my perfect workd) ;) I do change thread colors a lot in my quilting and again I try to match. I don't really have a set in stone way of working a quilt. I always pin baste very heavily as I am working back and forth. I can end up changing colors back and forth a lot. Which is on reason I love the entra cone holder on top. When you get your machine I recommend taking as much training as you can, practice on paper it is very important. Don't be afraid to try things, Just do it and have fun.

At this time my studio is about 18x 23 It is a great space to work in. The cutting table is 6'x8'.

When are you getting a machine? Best of luck.

Myrna

Hi Myrna

I'm in a bit of a quandary about when to get my machine. We're renovating at the moment, and have just got new soft pile carpet througout, so I'm a bit hesitant to order now (even though I badly want to) as I'd have to set it up on the new carpet for a couple of months and then move it when the office/studio becomes available. DH would be horrified at the marks left on the new carpet as I'm sure the machine is pretty heavy (he's a fussy b*?#). I think Sue said it would take about 6 weeks to get over here - so I'm thinking if I order about mid Mar, we might be about right. If it came before the studio is ready, I don't think I could stand to leave it in the box - I have NO patience when I'm excited. You should see me at Christmas!!!

By the way, I thought I was a bit of a fiend with the digital camera - I can't believe how many photo's you have on Webshots. I'll have to go back lots of times just to make sure I see everything. It is really fantastic for Newbies to see so much detail in your quilting - certainly something to aspire to.

Happy Quilting.

Kathy,

Sue is correct it would take 6 weeks, maybe a little longer after the order. LOL, you have more patiences that I, once the decision was make to order I would not be able to wait ! Even if I had to sit on the boxes and pet them for a couple of months. Just tell Dh the carpet is new it will spring back!

PS I do take a few photos

Myrna

Archived