How to hide fabric thread under sandwich ????

Cagey

I am quilting a quilt top I made.  A piece of thread from the red block next to my white embroidered block is now showing like a sore thumb after I quilted the block.  

It might be hard to see, but it is in the top right corner near the read HST.

post-65706-0-74924200-1449110400_thumb.jpg

There is another one in purple in the bottom left corner, though it is harder to see on the quilt and in the picture.

Any ideas on how to get ride of the blasted things, now that I cannot get to it?

Cagey

I have a very tiny crochet hook that I poke through the top fabric, snag the thread and pull it out. The hole is no bigger than what the needle makes, and if you are careful to not snag your fabric on the way out..it closes up with your fingernail rubbing over it.

A number 10 or 12 steel crochet hook will do the trick after quilting, as others have advised. Fish it through the closest seam or stitch hole and pull the thread through.

I just finished a lattice quilt in navy and white where the raveling navy thread was everywhere. They're hard to control because even when you groom the threads, more appear just by tugging the top. I have a new tool for repositioning the threads. I use a long, double-sided emery board. After the quilt is loaded and straightened, and before it's quilted, I groom the threads out by reaching under the top from the side or through the rollers from the front and "sweeping" the emery board against the thread. I either remove it completely or push it under adjacent darker fabric. The thread sticks to the sandpapery emery board-- works like a charm! 

Look in the notions section for a "knit picker". It is a tiny hook with a latch so when you pull back through the top it closes the latch around the tail. I think Dritz makes them; and I'm sure other companies as well. They were made for pulling loops back through on knit fabrics.

Archived