Need help on Design

3XGrandma

I have just started quilting, with an APQS Lennie, completing a couple pantograph quilts.  One of my girls bought the material for me to complete a quilt pattern titled 'Crossroads'.

I am not very confident on designing my own quilting pattern.  Would anyone have ideas on what would work for this quilt top?  I included the pattern pdf for visual.  The blocks are fairly large and uncomplicated.  I just don't think a pantograph would be the way to go.

Help please...muchly appreciated.

post-96245-0-22046000-1451359790_thumb.jpg

I think a nice panto would be fine on this quilt. That said, if you want custom, I would stitch in the ditch all your stripes. If they need more quilting a line down the center of each. I see them as the most important part of this design so I would not quilt a lot on them so that they pop. If the background fabrics are busy prints, a fill of your choice. If you are very comfortable with freehand there are other options which would depend on your choice of background fabrics and batting.

I see half square triangles in the center blocks.  I think feathering them might be nice.  In the long strips across the quilt, I see either  one Angela Walters' "touching designs" of you choice, or Jamie Wallen's half circle spike leaves.  Just my two cents worth.  

Cagey

To advance your skills and give you confidence, quilt the diagonal sashings and the squares with easy designs. Find a thread color that will work on all your fabrics and use it throughout. For the sashing, evenly-spaced up/down loops would work. Make sure there's a loop in every spot where the sashings intersect. Stitch all in one direction. Then when you do the ones in the other direction you will overstitch one side of a loop to reach across to the next sashing section. For the HST blocks in between, treat them as squares instead of triangles. If you have a stencil that fits, mark and stitch the same design in each square. If the stencil is too small, mark and stitch it then echo the outside until the block is filled. Another option in the squares is CCs/Line Dancing. Because the blocks are large you'll really be able to see your designs. Here's a link to Line Dancing by Diana Philips. You can get the idea and practice on some graph paper to give you the rhythm. Share when you finish and have fun!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Diana+phillips+line+dancing&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1067&tbm=isch&imgil=0-c4PLA0qkrwpM%253A%253B1gNJIA6BpnQ21M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.intelligentquilting.com%25252F 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived