Millies needle sounds like it's catching on the upswing

bttyboopette

Note to self.....check tightness of needle screw more often(Duh). The needle slipped out while sewing. I stopped right away. It did not bend or jam into the machine. I put a new one in. Needle traveling down is fine (no noise) but when it travels up I get what sounds like a click. Almost like it's tapping/touching something in the bobbin assembly on the way up. Help please!

Make sure the needle is all the way seated in the needle bar and eye facing square to the front. If it's down a little or cocked too much off square, the hook can actually hit the needle on the upstitch. If you're not sure if it's all the way in, take out your bobbin case and compare to this picture (from APQS' timing instructions).

post-2534-0-95612700-1451940291_thumb.jpg

You might want to make sure you have needles that are the right length.  The reason I say this, when my Milli was new I ordered tons of thread, and needles from Superior Threads.  After a couple years I grabbed a new package of needles, inserted on in the machine and had those ticking sounds, tension was off or not at all...lots of problems.  So I called the service center and once we compared the nbr that was on the needle package I found that I had several packages of needles that were too long!  I believe Dawn said I could use them but I would have to reset the timing on my bobbin case to match the length of the needles.  It's easier to just not use them as I have lots that are the right length.  

Another time I had ticking when there was a burr on the inside of the hole on the plate that the needle passes thru.  I guess at one time I'd broken a needle and it nicked it a tiny bit, just enough to cause the ticking sound.  Easily fixed with a little sanding.

Rita

Bitty:  If I understand what you said, your needle is in backwards.  The "bump" should be to the front of the machine.  Take your finger nail and run it down the needle.  On one side there is a groove, on the other it is smooth.  The groove is for the thread, and should be facing forward.  That positions the notch that the hook rotates through, to the backside of the machine.  If it's put in the other way, the hook will hit the "bump", and make the clicking noise you hear.  

To make changing the needle easier for me, I have replaced the screwdriver type original clamping screw with an Allen socket headed screw.  Much easier to use.  You can even leave the Allen key in the screw after loosening it so you don't have to find the socket in order to tighten it.   Bought it from Ray at Quilt Tech.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived