I could not live without......

Hi Everyone,

Since I want to set up a Studio (when I've kicked DH out of the office at home and into his own factory unit :)) I was wondering:- If there was one thing in your sewing room that you could not live without - what is it? (Apart from your machine, obviously). Is it a piece of furniture, a gadget, software, a $3 tool - or did you have to improvise or make something yourself because you just couldn't get it anywhere else? I'm on a brain-picking mission - so, while I'm here........

My studio is 6.5 mtrs x 5.1 mtrs (21ft x 16.7ft) and I have a 4 x 4mtr (13 x 13) Wine Cellar underneath (my sisters are disgusted with me because I want to store batting in there - but I guess I could get a few bottles in there as well ;) - not too many, wouldn't get much quilting done - or who knows, maybe I'd do my best quilting - that would really loosen you up lol). What I'd really like to know is:- What do I need in there. Obviously my machine and a large table (with drawers underneath - just like I saw on Myrna's webshots site) - but what else are "Must Haves" to set up a longarm studio? Oh, I just got a block butler design wall, so that would go in - and since I've got the room (I think) my DSM could go in there too. What else is essential?

Cheers.

Your space sounds wonderful and a wine cellar nearby, well, what can I say except PERFECT!!!

You will want a good size cutting table that can also be used to spread out the quilt tops for inspection.

A stool, since we are all learning from our friends here at APQS that we can quilt sitting down.

A TV and some type of music system. :cool:

Storage for your threads, supplies and tools. (I'd put the batting in my quilting room and leave plenty of room in the wine cellar for wine . . . :D)

Bookshelves for your quilting books and a comfortable chair.

And, a place to set your wine glass ;) . . . PERFECT INDEED!

I do not have a very large studio area. The greatest thing I ever did ( thanks to Darlene Epp!) was to purchase rolling drawer units and place them under my quilting table. I have my pantos organized by size in each drawer and I also store my thread according to size and color. It has opened up an amazing amount of space throughout my studio.

Michelle L. Miller/ 2003 APQS Millennium:)(*****FOR SALE*****):)

Kathy R

I could not live without......my drafting chair. What a difference when that came. Also, I just had a peg board installed and the organization and visability to rulers, large sissors, etc is great.

Now, as for a wine celler...just might have to put on an addition :D

Peg Board!!!! What a great idea. I guess you could even set it up like a shadow peg board, so you know what goes where ;)

What kind of a drafting chair? Can anyone attach a picture of the best type? Sometimes, we have different names for things in Australia, and what you call a drafting chair can be quite different from what we have here.

By the way - How many Kathy's are there on this site. Especially spelt with a K. I hardly ever see them over here. My first name (officially) is Katharine - the a in the middle catches out quite a few people - even had to pay to have some bank documents redrawn because they spelt it with an e in the middle and I didn't pick up on it!!

I agree that a big cutting area is a must! I was lucky when I set up my quilting area in our garage (it's 40 x 50) so we enclosed an area of 20 x 20 for me.... It just so happens that my hubby wasn't using his "shop table" at the time so we left it in the room and built around it... I took a sheet of Insulator Board and covered it with batting then with Bleached muslin... I now have a Cutting Board, Ironing Board and all around area that is 4 feet x 8 feet! I can iron out the quilt top or backing with little touble. Now that I have it all fixed up the way I like Hubby wants it back and I keep telling him NO!!!!

A TV, VCR/DVD player, or Tape Deck is a must too!

If you have the TV/VCR, etc., then you definitely will need cordless headphones so that you can hear over the machine!

By the way, Yellow Rose, I am very sympathetic to your statement that you're located in California, but your heart's in Texas. As a native Texan, I briefly had to live in Ohio, and my heart was SO back in Texas! You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can never take Texas out of the girl!!

Our son attended A & M until he joined the Navy. Our youngest son, Jason dreams of coming home from Iraq (he's in the Army) and finishing his veterinarian classes there. He even has sent me a picture of him in his room in Iraq in his Marroon hat and sweatshirt. He's home station is Fort Hood. Debbi

I think we need a Texas Forum. My husband's family is originally from Bryan. He's probably related to everyone in the area who has an Italian surname. In fact, his aunt is getting ready to "retire" as a secretary from the Vet school. I spent many years at A&M. I got my B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in Meteorology there. I am the most qualified person you know that can officially say, "This is GOOD quiltin' weather".

To stay true to this forum, the only thing I need for my sewing room is a carbonated Diet Coke dispenser. Then, I would be in heaven and I'm sure my productivity would sky rocket.

Donna

A recommendation I have is that I get all my panto's laminated that way they don't get damaged putting them under the plastic on your quilting table. Also once laminated they just sit on top of your table easily.

I started doing this after I tore one panto the first time I tried to slip it under the plastic sheet on the table - think it is definately worth the cost as they will be in perfect condition forever :D

I then roll them up and they are all in a plastic tub on wheels under my cutting table.

Agree radio/CD player is a must - don't know about a TV though it would take my attention of the quilts.

The idea of drawers on wheels for threads is great though - currently have my threads on a bookshelf

Also have a ironing board and iron in my quilting room so I can iron backing and quilt tops immediately before loading on my quilting machine

Hi! everyone . . . I rely on my boombox ALL DAY, EVERYDAY. It's my "socialization" in-between appts. . . couldn't do without my music or radio programs. (Keeps me sane.)

Kathy's post (Dylemma) caught my eye. YEARS ago, I lived in Perth for a year+. :) Loved it!! Would love to return for a visit. (A friend from there will be stateside this summer for a bit of a reunion w/myself and 2 others. Can't wait (it will be almost 30 yrs!!)

How strong is longarm quilting in Perth? Just curious . . . SLO in KS.

Hi SLO

There are not many LA quilters in Perth. Simone, who posts here (Hi Simone) has an APQS - but my research showed that the others had Gammills. I'm looking at getting a Millie in about a couple of months. As you would know, we're pretty isolated over here, but Simone testified to the fantastic service she receives from Sue (the Australian Rep over in Melbourne) and that certainly helped put my mind at ease - as did talking to Sue herself.

How long ago were you in Perth and where were you? I have a sister who lives in Pennsylvania (just down the road from Amish country) and I had planned on visiting this year, however, my Millie purchase means putting it back 12 months so I'm really hoping to get over there for about 4 weeks around June/July 06!!! Can't wait to see all those Amish quilts :) My sister has been there around 30 years but she came here last year for my Dad's 80th Birthday. I'm one of 8 kids (5 girls & 3 boys) so I'm planning on going to US with a couple my sisters and bombarding the small town where they live with Aussie's ;) - they won't know what hit them. :cool:

Good morning Kathy, (do you mind giving me your e-mail address?) If I registered right, I think you should have access to mine.

I taught at Balga in 1974 (lived in an E. Perth flatblock till scared by other residents, then moved to a house on William St. across from Hyde Park.) I taught a bit at Swanbourne as well.

At that time, the only "quilting" I had ever done, was to piece 4" blocks together from all the clothes I'd ever made (alot! since I made all my own clothes.) That was on my own my Sr. year in High School. When I got back, I put it together and simply tied it. Good thing too!! cause I used a regular blanket inside. . . the thing was so HEAVY I could hardly turn over under it!! :P But that was my concept of a quilt up to that point.

I don't know if much quilting was done in Perth back then or not - I wasn't looking for it. Have a good day. SLO

Hi SLO,

My email is dylemma125@gmail.com What on earth did the residents of East Perth do to scare you? I always thought Perth was pretty much the friendliest city on earth - although I guess if you look hard enough, there's always someone out there :o

Quilting has certainly taken off over here in the past few years, although the LA is still relatively new - they seem to have a lot more of them in the Eastern States. I would like to make a small business out of mine, at least to help pay for the machine, but after that........I hope I'll be able to do a lot of my stuff. The one thing that has gone through my mind is about turning a hobby/passion in to a business and then not enjoying what you used to love doing (because it's become work). Anybody have any thoughts on that......I know from this forum that JudyL has been doing it for some time - do you ever get to the stage where you get a bit fed up with it?

Cheers from Oz.

It's hot & windy over here at the moment.....and we've had some big bush fires. The last 3 days have had smoke and a little ash blanketing the city. Say a little prayer for my brother who's been out there fighting them on & off for the last 5 days :(

A drafting chair is a very tall office chair. It sits higher than a regular chair. Like a bar stool with a back. I like mine because it is wider in the seat than most stools and it is on wheels. I got it at the used office furniture store. I tried to post a picture but it won't work.

Teresa

I love my drafting stool. It has made a world of difference for me. I bought mine online at Office Depot. Since my machine is on a concrete floor, I can just zoom all over the place & very seldom get up. It's great!

Debbi (Yellow Rose), my youngest son is also army & in Iraq. Simeon is 82nd Airborne out of Ft. Bragg, NC. At the moment, he is in Mosul, Iraq for his 2nd tour of duty. Hope your son is home soon, safe & sound.

Archived