skipped stitches

Battynurse

So I saw another post about skipped stitches but my situation is a little different. I have been working on another of my quilt tops that had some appliqué on it. For the appliqué I used the fusible web for my pieces. My machine had been quilting everything fine but when I got to the appliqué parts it started skipping stitches. Sometimes quite a few in a row. My first thought was that I needed to retime my machine again but then when I got back to the part that wasn't appliqué no more skipped stitches and its sewing beautifully. Is it possible that I'm skipping because I'm going through too many layers (it's way more likely to skip in places where I had several pieces one on top of another)? I'd really rather not need to retime the machine again.

You might try using a needle one size larger than the one you presently have in the machine.  Maybe the extra material and fusible web is compressing the thread between the needle and fabric.  A larger hole might allow the tread to be captured by the hook, and fix your dilemma.  

Try making yourself a sample piece with the same top scrap fabric with appliqué, so you do not punch any extra holes in your quilt sandwich.  Hopefully it will work to fix your problem.  Best of luck.  Tell us how you fixed the problem.

Cagey

Archived