Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

Stagecl

This recipe is easy and produces a very moist bread. Makes a nice gift for the holidays too.

Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

1 pkg super moist lemon cake mix

1Tbsp poppy seeds

1/3 Cup oil

1 pkg instant lemon pudding (small box)

4 eggs

1 Cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 - 4 x 8 loaf pans or 4 mini loaf pans.

Beat all ingredients together. Pour into pans. Bake 35 to 30 minutes or till done...test with toothpick.

Glaze:

1/2 C sugar

4 Tbsp lemon juice

Mix together. Poke the hot breads with a fork and spoon glaze over tops of each loaf. Leave in the pans to cool.

Enjoy!

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, Va

yummy! One of our weak spots fooood..... On March 28 my dad celabrated

74th birthday . Mom had a lovely dinner with all the kids and family. we are bless to all live within approx. six miles of each other. Well I offered to make the cake. I made lemon-poppyseed pound funnel cake with chocolate

brownnie with pecans and super chocolate chunks. I used a fancy bundt pan then after turning over topped with sliced strawberries spread like a fan open stems left on them drizzled fresh lemon zested buttercream frosting, and cross drizzled crackle chocolate syrup.

I am really glad we celabrate these family times together as my daddy had a stroke at dinner on Easter Sunday eve. when reaching to pick up his apple juice. He is affected on the left side. We were all there, and will continue to be. I got carried away here --- you hit a memory zone, a good thing .

Cheryl - Your right! I have made this receipe many times and it is so easy

and always turns out so yummy and moist!! All the times I made it

though - I never put the glaze on - or had that part of the receipe...... I will

just HAVE to try that this time - Thank-you!

hmmm.... A reason to bake something.... yummy!!!!

I made a recipe last night...cut off 2 pieces and sent the rest into work with my husband....cuz I didn't want to eat it all...LOL... I love the end slices because they always have more glaze on them:D... I cut one of the loaves on both ends...was that bad? LOL

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I'm with Judi....My mom use to hide the fresh baked bread cuz us kids would do this to all the loaves if she didn't. She baked once a week about 15 huge loaves of bread a week....remember I was raised on a ranch....and the bowl was bigger than she was. :P

I'm going to make this today for the Drama Club Dinner and a Show....will let you know how it goes....but I too think I will eat the ends....they shouldn't go to something like this anyways and I surely don't want them to go to waste....;)

Bonnie,

Our neighbor bake her bread every week (when I was growing up) and she would occasionally bring a loaf over...yummy. She, too, had a huge bowl that held many pounds of flour. I think she made only 8 loaves, a week, at one time. The saddest part was that her kids preferred store bought bread. :( I know cuz I told them how lucky they were and they said they preferred the store bread. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence especially when one is young.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Well, its a good thing I got the ends...was such a hit there wasn't any left....:D

Now I'm going to have to add this one to the holiday baking...it sure is good and so easy. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheryl, isn't it funny how people can be....I know the nieces and nephews when then came to the house wouldn't eat the homemade bread either. I don't bake as often as I use to, but when I do...Siana our live in granddaughter puts on a very sad face.....and then she goes and gets the store-bought bread. Okay with me....it leaves more for me and hubby. yum.

My favourite bread to make (since it brings back memories) is to make a sweet bread dough...braid the whole thing into one braid on a cookie sheet. As soon as it's cooked put a thin icing glaze on the humps and jam in the creases...slice and butter it. I could eat the whole thing!!!

I'll have to try this lemon bread...sounds great.......

Sandra

Sounds good too...my favorite from sweet dough bread is cinnamon rolls....yum...I put twice as much cinnamon, maybe 3 times, in the sugar...I figure you got to taste the cinnamon or it isn't a cinnamon roll. Frosted and warm...yum...I may have just added a weekend baking project to the list. But first I must finish mulching the plant beds.

Bonnie,

Glad to hear the bread was a hit.

One day she will realize how good homemade bread is and will miss it or learn to bake it.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

If you want to do a taste test. Krusteaz has a box mix of Lemon Poppy Seed mix with one cup water and one egg. DH brought it home yesterday and need to try it. We have nearly everything Krusteaz makes because they are so simple and good.

15 loaves of bread homemade every week Bonnie? That's amazing. I love my bread machine.

Vicki

Originally posted by dancingstitcher

15 loaves of bread homemade every week Bonnie? That's amazing. I love my bread machine.

Vicki

Vicki....my mom was 5'3" and it was funny to watch her fight the two huge huge steel bowls...she would have to sit the bowl on a stool to kneed the dough, but as faithful as knowing she was always there, we got fresh bread every Wednesday. She would try to have it all done and put away by the time we kids got home from school, (heaven help summer vacation) because she knew we would cut off all the ends and make honey butter for an after school snack. Still love warm bread and honey butter.

But do you know what I miss the most....the fried bread we would get during the summer when she needed to make us lunch and no bread was ready. Now I need to make a batch just to fry....well there goes that diet.

I too have a bread machine, but ya know it's just not the same....great bread, but it just doesn't have the same flavor as real homemade bread.

I should mention how I would make this to take to work - when I had an

icky 6 am to 3:00 job..... Using this same recipe - putting it into cupcake

papers instead of bread loaf...

Make a batch of cream cheese frosting as these are baking... I put this into

cake decorating bags with a large open tip on the end. Place in 'fridge....

After the cupcakes are really cooled-off - I then poke the tip of the bag of

frosting into the center of each and Squeeze!! You can just feel it filling-up

and getting heavy... end with a bit on the top - and there ya' go! They

would always wonder how I did this and think it was SO much work - NA' -

not me! Really easy and very yummy - keep them in the 'fridge - till they are

all gobbled-up!:D

p.s. Don't over-fill with frosting or they split in half - still very yummy - just

a bit more messy.... :P

• 1 year later...

When our cabin was for sale, I used to put bread in the machine and time it so that it would be smelling good when people would come look. Didn\'t work...maybe I should have made it from scratch!:P Do you think they could tell the difference??

I want to make this lemon bread, it sounds terrific. Is the glaze white sugar and lemon juice or powdered sugar.

Hey, Bonnie...next time you make homemade bread, ship a loaf out here...okay??:P:P:P

Bonnie, did your mom grow up next to mine? We used to make bread every Sunday, 6-7 loaves (we worshiped on Sabbath, so Sunday was a work day) When I was in high school I would come home for the weekend and make bread. We also sliced it and then bagged it and put it in the freezer. We used to get it to rise by putting it on the gas heater with only the pilot light on. We did learn that you shouldn\'t do that with a plastic bowl. The heater for years after that had little yellow plastic in some of it\'s holes.

The other thing we made each weekend was homemade caramels, two jelly roll pans of them. They were made Sabbath night and by the time we went back to school Sunday night after supper there was only 1/2 of the second pan left. Each time dad or the brothers went in or out the door they would slice off a strip an inch wide and 5 inches long.

• 1 month later...

Archived