Marking quilts

Sheila S.

When you use chalk to mark a quilt how do you get the chalk off the quilt after you have stitched it! I sometimes use a friction pen and that comes off easily with heat but I read that it sometimes shows up later on the quilt. I am a little nervous about marking my quilts to tell you the truth.

White chalk just rubs off so I have never had a problem with it but be careful with the coloured chalks, they can stain.  I like using a Bohin white chalk pencil or the pink air erasable markers with no problems.   Do not use Frixion pens for quilting designs as it is not designed for that purpose.  The ink is still in the fabric after you iron it and it does come back in the cold...ask me how I know ( I live in northern Canada!)

I like my Frixion pen for making piecing lines that I will be sewing on or cutting on but not for quilting designs.

Thank you, Tamarack! I am from central Maine so know about cold weather. I will take your advice and either use the white chalk. Have you had any experience with water soluble markers? Not sure I want to quilt and then spray my quilt to get rid of the marks. You would have to wait until it dried before advancing the quilt, right?

I had a bad experience with the blue water soluble.  When I sprayed the quilt to remove the blue marks the blue just moved in the water and make large blue rings as it dried.  I scrubbed and dabbed to try to prevent the 'puddling' effect from happening but that didn't help.

Blue Line Eraser does a good job, but you do have to be sure your fabrics are colorfast. If it is my personal quilt, I just immerse in cold water because I am probably going to block the piece before binding anyhow. That solves all of the problems. But on customer quilts I use air erasable on light colors, chalk on dark. If I need to remove the air erasable I use an eraser pen or a water pen. They dry pretty quickly in my air conditioned and heated studio.

I mainly only use chalk for marking my quilts. If I use colored chalk I use a light color, like blue, green or yellow. So far I have not had any problems. As far as removing the chalk from the quilt, my little red compressor does a sweet job (of course at a lower psi).

I have had very good experiences with Roxanne's Quilter's Choice chalk pencils, especially the white.  Sue Nickels talked about them in a class that I took with her.  The lines stay on well, but they also come off easily by rubbing over them with a piece of cloth or with water.  

I'm also using a blue washout marker more.

Brenda

Archived