Stitch regulated mode is inconsistently bad but beautiful in manual mode

MelissaJ

Bought my millennium years ago but haven't been able to use it, or wanted to, because of inconsistent bobbin side stitching that I couldn't figure out. Now I've got some time to hang in there and decided to try in manual mode. It stitches beautiful! Why won't it in regulated? I've tried everything I've found on the forum. Love the info but need help. Any suggestions??

Melissa, can you post some photos of your problem areas?  That will give us something to start with.  Load a practice sandwich, different color threads in top and bobbin (and tell us what they are), then stitch in manual and regulated.  We'll figure out what's going on!

I hope it shows up, they're not the best examples though. Sometimes the bobbin thread is literally just laying on the backing, no tension on it at all. This is a panel for practice and is still on quilter so maybe I only think it's only messing up in regulated mode only. I've tightened the upper tension til it looks good, this happens and I tighten it more and thread breaks. Have checked the bobbin tension by laying in palm of hand and picking up by thread as suggested.

post-96378-0-24721800-1454624250_thumb.jpg

post-96378-0-22701300-1454624463_thumb.jpg

post-96378-0-11560500-1454624995_thumb.jpeg

Melissa, assuming those photos are showing the back of your quilt, have you checked under the tension finger in your bobbin case?  It could be that there's accumulated "fuzz" under that finger that is grabbing your bobbin thread, but only occasionally, and pulling it to the back.  Run a stiff card, like a business card or folded paper, under that finger to see just what's under it.  And your machine may work better with looser bobbin tension - each machine is different!

In this post, I've also attached a copy of an article by Dawn Cavanaugh, explaining the "tug of war" that happens between our top thread and bobbin thread.  Just gotta find that "happy place"!

Volume 1, Issue 5- Mastering Thread Tension.doc

Pics are of the back, I've done both reg & manual mode. The manual mode gives the better stitch. I could send pics of that but you all know what that looks like. :) I have tried looking for lint under the finger in the past but not recently. Will give that another try. I appreciate the link to the tension doc. I'll give that another go too. Thanks for all the suggestions. Wish me luck!

Maybe it's to soon to say this but after taking the tension finger out, seeing nothing but cleaning anyway....I have about 4' of beautiful stitching! Except for a skipped stitch or two. That's ok though, I can put up with that! Not really, but I'm so happy! Thank you for all your help!!!

Melissa (Newbie :))

Melissa, you didn'pt say if you had cleaned and lubed your machine, tried a diff needle or diff thread.

I'd suggest you clean and oil, then totally rethread top and bottom, and try again.  Just make sure the W:D40 and oil are

totally gone before stitching on things you want to keep!

If all else fails, call Amy at APQS and she will set you on your way.  I don't like skipped stitches.  I'd address that issue.

"Good luck and keep ;o) smiling!

Have fun!

Archived