Slipping Handle Grips

mrsbishwit

My Liberty is about 1 1/2 years old and lately I am having problems with my back handles, the foam grips on them are slipping and causing the whole handle to shift/ turn and slide around while I am trying to guide my machine over the pantos. This is driving me nuts especially when I am doing a complicated panto and need to change direction more often.

Help!!! what should I do? Is this thing common? is the handle bad and need to be replace?

Joann

I have a Millie, and my handles move too. I think I grip them too tight. I'm trying to make myself just use a couple of fingers and my thumb to guide my machine when doing pantos. I just turn the handle back in place. they are plugged into a whire inside and I think they have some room to move. Try making sure they are pushed all the way onto the post. If the handle is bad then the buttons on the end (I think they call it the mushroom) won't work. Someone more technical will probably write you and say I was wrong about all this....so hang tight. I just noticed that no one has responded so I threw in my 2 cents.

Hope it all works out for you.

Well, I wish we had a real technical way for you to fix your handles, but electrical tape is all we use!!! Unplug your handles under the thread stand (pull on the plastic plug ends and not the wires!!), twist and pull your mushroom head out of your grip and unplug it, then pull the grip off the handlebar...use a couple of pieces of electrical tape - start the piece inside the tube, then end it on the outside, or you could use one long piece and spiral it down the tube a ways (start the end inside the tube again to keep it from being pushed down the tube)...then push the grip back on the bar (there's a plastic tube inside the grip, and the tape helps it fit tighter)...plug the mushroom head back into the wire in the handle, then plug the wires back in under the thread stand...you should have to push fairly hard to get the plastic tube back onto the handlebar - this will ensure that you have a firm handle!

Does that all make sense? Give me a call at the factory if you have any questions - 800-426-7233, ext 207!

• 1 month later...

Well after fighting with my grips for the past 6 weeks or so my DH finally came up with a solution that actually works!

The electrical tape doesn't work because there is no adheisive that sticks to the grip itself just the metal handle.

My DH the advid golfer that he is (never thought that I would be grateful for him being a golfer, lol) said "why not use 2 sided tape...golfers use it all the time to re-grip their golf clubs". Why didn't he tell me this 2 months ago!!

Anyways we had some in the garage so he slid the grip up just enough to expose about 2" of the metal handle then he cut off a piece of the tape (the tape has a white paper backing so it is easier to apply) he wrapped it 1/2 way around the handle peeled off 1/2 of the paper backing then wrapped the rest of the tape around the handle then peeled off the remaining paper backing. He then pulled the foam grip back down over the metal handle (be careful not to squeeze the foam grip until it is completely pulled down or you will get stuck in the middle), then squeeze the foam grip. It will stay in place without any more slipping around!! :)

My DH said the 2-sided tape can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes. The brand that we have is from "Manco" it is 2" wide and is white. The tape itself has a fine mesh like texture and the paper backing is smooth. Here's a pic of it in case someone needs to look for this stuff later.

Joann

post--13461898207348_thumb.jpg

Archived