Vertical Drag on Millennium

My table is level, my table is square, my carriage is level, my cords are not dragging, my 4 black wheels are clean, my carriage is clean. I have no strings stuck in the four, black wheels I have checked my head encoder, taken it a part and put it back together again, correctly, I believe.   

Left and right she is fine.....I have Bliss, she is like butter.  But up and down (vertical)...she drags.  

Could it be that this 2010 Millie that I just purchased is that much heavier than my 2000 Millie?  Am I just weak????    Grin

I did not try it out before I installed my new Quilt Path.  Once I had the Quilt Path all hooked up, I noticed the drag.   I REMOVED EVERYTHING having to do with the quilt path, I still have vertical drag.  So it is NOT the weight of the Quilt Path hardware and computer.

I have read  everything I could get my hands on in these forums that have to do with the Head encoder wheel, M&M wheels, cleaning my carriage and all wheels, etc. I watched one video about wheels.  I really could not find anything more I could do with this drag problem.   Am I missing something?   

I know I should call Amy, and I will as a last resort.  I know she is busy so if I am able to get some tips from all of you, it might help.

Thanking you all in advance.....Janice in northern Minnesota 

Janice, it sounds like you've checked everything we would all check. Please don't worry about bothering Amy - or any of the other fine folks in APQS Service - that's why they're there! Send an email to service@apqs.com, outlining everything you listed above and they'll get you fixed up. Do you have any APQS Reps close to you, just in case this needs some hands-on checking?

No, my QP clamps are not engaged....but thank you for suggesting that.  I am fairly mechanically enclined, so this is driving me crazy that I just am unable to figure this out.  But, as I said, it could just be the difference between my two machines.   I am so temped to put cooking oil on my wheels.........Grin............I am just kidding, honest!    Grin

I found a small burr inside one of the wheels.  I filed it down a bit.  I am hoping this will help.  I am putting my Quilt Path back on my machine, and will see how it goes.  Thank you for the help.  If it is still a lot of drag, I will call Amy next week.

• 1 year later...
I worked so hard at trying to fix the problem.  One thing I did was to make sure my cords were not dragging, or rubbing on ANYTHING.....which is almost impossible.  I did however string an overhead wire, and attached my electrical cord to that....keeping the cord up off of the floor.  That helped.   Then I made sure that my wheels were ALWAYS cleaned.  I clean them everyday when I quilt.  And, if I quilt for long hours, I wipe them down more.  I took any extra weight off of the machine.  I have Quilt Path on my machine.....and I remove it, and anything related to it when I quilt freehand.  Also, make sure your wheels are not rubbing on the carriage......  I know I went through all of Amy's videos, the manual, everything I could get my hands on to read about to help the problem.  Amy is a Goddess of information!!!!!!

I hope I helped in some small way.......Janice in Northern Minnesota, near the Canadian Border

Archived