Help my Milly is running on its own

Mattie-Sue

I turned on the power button and Milly started running on its own.  I did not press any buttons.  It also started smelling a little bit.  Of course this happened right after 5:00 central time.  Has anyone else experienced this or have any hints for me?  

I may just have to wait until tomorrow.

If you have one of the newer models, with the rocker switch handle controls, check that one of the four switches hasn't stuck in the "needle up/down" position. That would cause the needle to continue to cycle when the machine is on. If one IS stuck, just rock it the other way (away from the white dot) to stop the cycling. If that's not the problem, an email to service@apqs.com or a call to the toll-free number, or both, is in order!

Thanks Barb for the quick response.  I have a 2009 model so I don't have the newer controls.  I did check to see if any buttons on the handles were stuck but they weren't.  I tried to use them to stop the machine but nothing worked.  I have sent an email as you had suggested in an earlier response to someone else with an issue.  I do appreciate that you are there with answers for us who have problems.  If I don't hear from them by email I will give them a call tomorrow.  

Thank you again.

Mine did that early one morning.  Started running like crazy.  Smell like toy train transformer afterwards.  I used it a bit and called APQS when they opened.  It was one of the circuit boards.  The repair was free--they sent me a new board as they had some defective ones when Gracie was manufactured.  She is a 2008, so maybe that could be your trouble?  I live close enough, 1.5 hr. drive that I was able to drive to Carroll to get the new board after working that day.  They even had someone wait for me--after hours.  Amazing service, especially since I am a second owner of the machine.  Hopefully your fix will be easy, too.  I replaced the board myself, following their directions and was very impressed with myself that I could do it all by myself.  Usually have my husband do those sort of things but he was busy farming. 

Mary Beth I have not had to adjust the #8 screw thing.  Liz that is exactly like what mine is doing.  Hopefully it will be an easy fix like yours if that is what it is.  Angie did just send me and email so I will see what she has to say.  I will let you know what I find out in case it may help others.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess my Milly, Matilda, is not mad at me. :)   She really is ill.  :(  Angie is sending me some circuit boards to replace the bad ones.  Hopefully Matilda will feel better.

Again, thank you for your responses. I have to say the service for APQS machines is fantastic and quick.

I will post how it goes replacing the parts is case it may help others in the future.

I live on the west coast so most likely it will be next week before I get the parts.

I'm confident you will be fine replacing.  Just keep track of things--screws etc.  Remember if you have a camera on your phone it is sometimes nice to take pictures as you take things apart so you can be sure they look the same after.  The APQS directions are always very complete.  Hope you are up and running before you know it.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the parts for Matilda on Thurs.  Today was my day to work on  her.  When I took the back off I found the problem was worse than expected.  After emailing pics to Angie she said Matilda would have to return home for some TLC.  So she and all her new parts will go on a road trip.  

Oh, Peggy, that's too bad!!  Wish you were closer to the Seattle area, we can do a lot of the "factory only" fixes in our workroom, as long as we have necessary parts from APQS.  But if Angie says "send her in," then send her you must!

Thanks Barb.  I wish Seattle wasn't so far also.  It sounds like you have some fun classes and you are always so helpful. Yep, I will miss her.  I finally got this quilt on I wanted finished for this Thurs. but hopefully she will come back and happy and ready to play.  I must say Angie has been great.

• 1 month later...

Mine did that early one morning.  Started running like crazy.  Smell like toy train transformer afterwards.  I used it a bit and called APQS when they opened.  It was one of the circuit boards.  The repair was free--they sent me a new board as they had some defective ones when Gracie was manufactured.  She is a 2008, so maybe that could be your trouble?  I live close enough, 1.5 hr. drive that I was able to drive to Carroll to get the new board after working that day.  They even had someone wait for me--after hours.  Amazing service, especially since I am a second owner of the machine.  Hopefully your fix will be easy, too.  I replaced the board myself, following their directions and was very impressed with myself that I could do it all by myself.  Usually have my husband do those sort of things but he was busy farming. 

MIne is a 2008 also and it did the same thing. We replaced the circuit board and was back up running in no time. My Millie actually smoked!

Archived