Wool batting

I have read on this forum that a lot of you love the wool batting. I want to try it because I am making a quilt for my grandson that lives in the south and want a lighter quilt. My question is how do you dry your quilt after washing it. I looked at the batting for sale and they say to lay flat to dry. Is that how you all dry yours.

I have a king size quilt with wool on our queen bed, I toss it in the top loading washer and toss in the dryer.  Of course since it isn't drug on the floor it isn't washed often.  I used wool for a twin quilt for the grandson in CA (they have now moved to Kansas) and  it has been washed a lot, not a problem.  It is still soft and works nice.

Since we are discussing wool batting, I have a question or two.  I am getting ready to quilt my daughter's college graduation quilt.  I purchased some Hobbs wool batting.  I am trying to decide if I just use one layer of wool batting, the wool over a layer of 100% cotton batting, or two layers of wool batting.   

We/she presently lives in Florida, and I want the quilting to pop.  Since it is for my daughter and since her graduation falls on the daily rotation of being "my favorite daughter", cost is not truly much of a consideration. 

Thank you in advance for your input.  Have a great day.

Cagey

Cagey,

I made a quilt for my daughter and tested the Hobb's wool.  I washed the quilt in warm water, normal agitation in washer and dried in hot dryer.  It did wonderfully! It's been washed several times since.  I made a quilt for myself and used one layer of wool over the heirloom.  Great definition and washes and dries well also.  I recently quilted a quilt for my mom...she wanted to try 2 layers of wool but didn't want dense quilting.  It was a pain and looked  more like a poly comforter.  I made the executive decision to use one layer only.

Debbie, Laura, and Madelyn:

Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge.  I hope that my daughter will use the quilt, verses just having it on the top of her bed.  I do quilt rather closely, a quarter to half inch spacing, so I want to be sure the quilting will fill the space between the lines.  So now I am torn between one layer of wool or a cotton/wool combination.  I may have to try a small ten by ten test square to see which I like best.  Thank you again for sharing.  If anyone else wants to chime in, I will listen.

Cagey

My personal choice would be to space the quilting a bit more distant to keep the soft in the quilt if you want her to use it more than view it.  Be sure to let us see what you have done.

I finally got back on my Lucey for a few minutes today, just doing loopies on two baby/child quilts  for a friend.  It sure made me decide I need to figure out what I need to do for good glasses for my quilting!

Archived