Retirement

I can't believe it, but today is my last day of work.  It's kinda bittersweet, but I'm so looking forward to catching up at home and catching up on quilting!  Seems like there has been no time at all lately.    Heck, maybe I can even figure out how to post a picture!  I have to confess, I'm mostly looking forward to being Grandma to little Gloria!  I interested to know what my new day will look like.  Will I really have more time - or as many friends have told me, will I be busier then than I am now?  At any rate, I'm gonna find out!  SO EXCITED :P 

I got some good advice when I retired....the person told me to take it slow......and only slowly take on other things...it is easy to jump right in to stuff and find yourself really busier than you want to be.  I have one "retired" friend that I have to book lunch with a month out because she is keeping herself so busy....If I wanted to be that busy, I would have kept on working...the pay is better.  I think it took the better part of six months to start to find my pace and figure out how I really wanted to be in retirement.  I enjoy reading, bird watching, quilting, spending time with my dog, friends, and family.  I love leaving time to be spontaneous.  Also, I guess I really do move at a slower pass....my aging body is actually more flexible now without the demands of schedules to keep.  I figured out my main job now is to take good care of myself so I can be as independent for as long as I can be without folks having to take care of me....It was really strange to wake up in the morning and thing about what I had to do that day and the answer was "Nothing"  HuHHHH!  Then a big grin would appear on my face!  Enjoy!!!!!!  Lin 

Congratulations.  I retired for the second time 2 years ago.  My wife retired 5 years before I did.  She never has enough time.  I make time.  I told her once I wasn't planning on staying as busy while retired as I was when I was working and I mean to do just that.  Some days and weeks I'm extremely busy....other days not so much....I can live with that.

Congratulations! My plans for retirement is to get up everyday at 5-6 am go into my Studio as thought I were going to work. Sew until Hubby finds something he needs me to do. Stop sewing at 5 (just like going to work). 1 day a week clean house, 2 days a week cook for the rest of the week. 1 weekend a month have a sewing retreat (I have 2 Guest Rooms and if Hubby goes to Farm - I can accommodate 5 ladies) in the studio with all my sewing buddies. My studio will be 15' x 30'. 2.5 years unless the economy cause me to get laid off - then I start retirement early.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

I retired last October, but we were so busy before Christmas, then we headed to Florida for 3 months. Florida was very busy... We're in an active 55+ manufactured home park and between biking, Pickleball, other park activities, socializing, having company etc., etc, the time flew and I did NO quilting! We're back in Ontario now, and it's sinking in now that I really am retired and not just on vacation!

Take it slow, pace yourself and mostly , ENJOY!

I'm looking forward to getting back into quilting and then getting to use my new Lenni!

SusanH.

Archived