Printing on fabric

Bonnie

If you are using those pre-made fabric printer sheets, just follow the instructions on the box.  I just used my HP inkjet printer to place the image, then let it dry 24 hours as directed.  Then soaked it in water with a little fabric softener to remove the excess ink, and sewed the blocks into my quilt top.  I gently wash the quilt, and after a few washings have had no visible lightening of the printed panels.  The manufacturer of the panels I used, said the HP printer I have places the ink just like the large industrial models do for printed fabric.  If you call the manufacturer of your product, I am sure they can point you in the right direction with your printer and their product.  They want you to have the best possible outcome with their product.  I have no idea if white vinegar might remove the ink verses setting it.  I am sure the manufacturer will know though.  Give them a call.  Lets us please see pictures of your finished item, tell us what you learned, and best of luck to you.

Cagey

I have tried pressing freezer paper the fabric and sending it through the printer. A piece of the fabric must have raveled just as it tried to feed through, and I had a mess. Since then I have been more selective. I made a tee-shirt quilt and used some photos of the young lady to add to the quilt. She was a softball player in high school and had some really good achievements, so I offered to do that. I printed those photos to Printed Treasures but I know there are many out there that work well. I have been making my quilt labels out of the scraps from the parts I did not use, and I think I like it. 

Bonnie, I have used Bubble Jet Set to treat "regular" fabric that I want to use in my printer, and it has worked well for me.  After I iron the fabric to the freezer paper, I zig zag across the top edge before loading it into the printer, because I had issues before with fraying and separating in the printer.  The Bubble Jet Set makes the ink permanent.  I haven't used it lately, so I don't remember the process real well, but I just followed the directions on the bottle.

When white fabric works with my project, I use Printed Treasures.

Thanks everyone for the info. I used printed treasures fabric years ago in my ink jet printer and gave it to my mom she washed it years later and the picture faded from what they were originally. I did not use any thing to set the ink other than letting it dry for 24 hours. Planning on doing another project and not wanting that to happen.

I have tried several different brands of printing fabric, some more successful than others. My favorite is by EQ (Electric Quilt) and is used on an inkjet printer. They have several different thread counts for 8.5 x 11 with one type being available for 11 x 17. I have also tried the freezer paper. Won't do that again. (I have a couple of examples on my blog where I created pillows.)

Bonnie:

I too used EQ printing fabric.  It has been said, that Epson is the only inkjet printer that uses dye pigment.  Doing a quick internet search, Epson was the "first" to came out with the first pigment printer back in 2005.  Since then, there are numerous printer companies that sell pigment based printers.  Reading some articles, there are pros and cons for both dyes and pigments.  I suggest you call EQ, and ask them specifically how to best use your present printer.  They helped me with getting the best print with my HP printer.  You may have the perfect printer right now.  Who knows.  Worst case, they give you a few printer makes and model numbers, that will give you the best result on fabric.  Then you can call around to your local office supply stores, and see who uses that printer for jobs.  It may cost you some time and a few dollars to have them print on your fabric, but if you get the best result it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new printer.  Best of luck to you.  Please share with us what you learn, and how your fabric prints hold up.

Cagey

• 4 years later...

so witch did u choose? I need some suggestions or tips now :( Not a long time ago I wanted to make my own small business with the same idea at home. For it, I needed a quality practical printer. Luckily I found these guys mrdepot.ca who offer a quality color printer and cartridges at a smart price! They have a simple and easy website, a big variety of office supplies and not less important - free delivery! I am happy with my new printer and use it every day. So if u are still searching for a good printer, try to look over this site for more info!

Call EQ, they can tell you what printers place ink on fabric like commercial manufacturers.  When I called them years ago, they asked for my printer name and model number, and told me how it would work. 

You could also call your local supply store, and see what printer they use to print copies.  Get the make and model, and then ask EQ if theirs or your printer would dye the fabric best.  You might spend an extra dollar or two on having it printed at Staples, for example, but you are putting in the time to make a quilt, so use the best printer available.  

Let us know what you find.  Best of luck with printing your fabric.

Cagey