Monofilament: nylon or polyester.

Leida:

I was up early goofing off on the computer, and found this.

Aurifil - nylon monofilament 

Ironing Guide

150 c° – 302 F° Optimum Temperature. While protecting your stitches from the hot plate with a cloth.

160 c° – 320 F° At this temperature the thread will start to shrink by 2%

+240 c° – 464 F° At this temperature the thread will start to melt

This is from YLI about their nylon invisible thread: they say theirs will not melt with a home iron.  Now you have to wonder how hot does a home iron get?...as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

WhisperTouch

100% Nylon
Soft, thin, transparent filament nylon in a beefed-up thickness
and large spool for longarms
(10,000 yards or more per spool)
- feels soft - not like fishing line
- will not melt with a home iron -
despite common mis-information
Use for quilting when you don't want the thread to show,
when you are stitching on different color fabrics
and don't want to have to match thread
to each fabric (T-shirt quilts),
or for stitching "in the ditch".

Fil-Tech Essence is nylon with no tech sheets available that I can find.  Linda in her earlier post says she likes it.  An interesting thing I did note, is that the thread diameter changes depending on the size spool you buy.  

1500 yard min spool, .004mm, tex size 8,    strength 1.3 lbs./564 grams,      needle size 70,

15300 yard King spool , .008mm, Tex size 35, strength 4.6 lbs/2086 grams,     needle size 100.  

Superior Thread has polyester invisible thread, but their webpage is not responding at this time.  Superior's site is back up and running.  This is what they say about their poly verses the competitors nylon thread,  

MonoPoly is often used for invisible appliqué and quilting when the stitching is not meant to be seen. We recommend MonoPoly over nylon monofilament threads since MonoPoly will not become brittle over time (nylon monofilament thread tends to go brittle). MonoPoly will not discolor (nylon monofilament thread tends to "yellow" over time), and MonoPoly is dryer and iron safe on medium-to-high heat.

• Available in 2 colors, clear and smoke.

• .004" (.1mm) in diameter (90 denier) = Very fine thread.

In the end,  I think you will have to test the threads on your own to see what is "best" for you.  If you are looking for the most invisible thread, I think you have to go with the thinest, which looks to the Superior.  I have used YLI, and Mettler invisible thread to stabilize my quilt sandwiches before quilting on George.  They have both worked fine, but I have not ironed or tried the quilts once I was done with them.  I ill have to try the Superior monopoly to see how their works.  Let us know what you learn and discover in your testing.

Cagey

• 3 weeks later...
A good study, thank you very much.

I hope to place an order in a short time, I will buy the thread "Essence". I read in a book by Karen McTavish, she uses this thread, and in the forum there are people who also like this thread.

With the heat of the iron I do not think have problems, but ... ¿" nylon monofilament thread tends to "yellow" over time"?????? :(  Another problem? :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  

I have worked with the monofilament in both, the top and bobbin, I have had no problems if I make a slow work. But I do not like to shine the thread.

Leida

Archived